MR2 Roadster - Coilover Setup Queries

Chips4Tea

Hi

So I've got an MR2 roadster and I'm struggling to find good discussion or advise on suspension setup.

My car is 2ZZ converted (engine from a Celica 190), and it had Yellowspeed coilovers fitted when I bought it. The ride was intolerable and horrible harsh banging was way too frequent for my liking. I have since replaced these with BC Racing coilovers with 4kg front, 6kg rear, and I chose them for the 'comfy' spring rates, and because I like that ride height adjustments don't affect pre-load, oh and Meister were out of stock at the time!

I have a few queries:

1. How much pre-load should be set? Based on a random youtube video I backed the adjuster rings off until the spring turned freely, snugged the ring until the spring didn't turn freely by hand, then added 4mm more (the width of a c-spanner). I have no idea if this is in the right ball park or not.

2. How should I be setting my ride height? I have set it to 31cm front, 33cm rear (from centre of the wheel to the wheel arch) as this is what my friends TRD Sportivo springs and dampers are, and I had no better place to start, but any advice is welcome!

3. Is there any guidance on adjusting the damping? Its set to 8 clicks from soft front and rear and it feels quite neutral, but I can't find much guidance on what I'm feeling for when optimising the settings.

4. ARBs - I'm currently running stock ARBs, but have a set of thicker Whiteline items, but I don't want to compromise the set up for fast road use. These also have 3 settings and again I wouldn't know where to start.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hello and welcome......

Suspension settings almost follow the same laws between marques regarding a base point, so in answer to your questions.

1: Preload is an argumentative topic but from experience and customer feedback 5mm from just off chatter seems best. Don't depend on the manufacture saying the preload is set from the factory. I've had some that should be set zero but had 30mm.

2: Setting the height so that the lower wishbones and/ or four-links are horizontal gives the best roll centre. Up or down from there might need additional parts like roll-centre adjusters?

3: Damper settings are a personal thing. BC's valving normally allows a base of 12f/  10r ( from soft ) This won't suit everyone so if you need to change the settings do it sequentially meaning if you think there needs to be a change don't do the whole car. Lets say you think the front needs changing if it doesn't work put it back before you change the rear.

4: Set them on the bottom hole. This is the soft setting. It's wise you get to feel all three positions and then you can make your mind up.