Issues with car after a full geometry calibration

MMC

Hello,

I took my car to Wheels In Motion after replacing both track rods this month. Over the phone, I asked if having a vehicle with Active Steering made a difference to aligning the wheels, and I was told it wasn't. Fine. I went ahead and booked, turned up and the 2 gentlemen working on my car invited me in to show me a computer screen showing the wheel angles and told me what needed to be done. I gave a thumbs up and the work was carried out.

Driving back home I didn't notice much, although maybe it's because I didn't use a motorway. The following day I had to travel a round trip of 800 miles, and this is when I felt the issues most. The steering is slightly offset to the left, although not by much. When on the motorway, the car would either pull slightly to the left, or if the road had camber on it, follow the area of the road which sloped downwards. Maybe linked with the steering being offset to the left, but when turning to the left, the steering wheel needs to be turned more compared to turning to the right.

Returning home, I checked the printout which was provided to see that, firstly, it said on the title: BMW: 6 Series - E63/64 (2003 - 2010) : without AFS (Active Front Steering), even though my vehicle does have Active Steering. Is there a different procedure for cars with Active Steering?

Secondly, all of the adjustments are green, apart from the SAI.

Rear Axle

Camber:  Left: 2.03     Right: 2.04 Cross: 0.01

Toe:  Left: 0.07 Right: 0.07 Total: 0.15

Geometrical driving axis: 0.00

Front Axle

Camber:  Left: 0.05 Right: 0.06 Cross: 0.01

Caster: Left: 7.03 Right: 7.15 Cross: 0.12

SAI: Left: 14.02 Right: 13.47 Cross: 0.15

Toe: Left: 0.04 Right: 0.05 Total: 0.10

If the following questions could be answered, I would greatly appreciate it:

1. Is there a difference between cars that have Active Steering and cars that do not, with regards to centering the wheel? Does anything need to be reset?

2. Could the tyres have an effect on the car following imperfections in the road?

3. Is it worth going back?

Many thanks.

Hello

If we had to set the steering angle sensor with an ECU plug in then yes we would have to use the active steering category. In addition, things like line deviation, parking cameras and the reversing camera would also need to be set. At this moment the tolerances on these items are so vast we don't need to set them although in 2019 the tolerances will be reduced, so we have no option. But this service cost will have to be passed onto the customer. The actual geometry settings are the same.

Tyres can have an effect. More so if they are run-flat tyres or if they have worn badly.  The steering position is the only part of the geometry the human had to set so there can be an ellement of human error. Within reason the position is cosmetic but for me that would be the most annoying thing so i hold my hand up for that. Maybe when you are near you could pop in so we can correct that. It's 5min work to do.

The steering feel and weight left/ right is not the geometry, so that would need to be looked into.

Hello Tony,

Thank you for getting back to me. Would you say the steering angle sensor needs to be reset after an alignment? If so, rough cost?

The tyres are not run-flat nor are they badly worn.

The steering feel and weight are bang on, no complaints there.

I think I will have to take you up on the offer of straightening the steering position. Although this will have to be after the New Year sometime.