MX-5 ND Geometry with spacers advice

dswhite

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help; I’m after some advice about how spacers can affect geometry settings. I know this could be a contentious topic....

This is the background:

I have a 2016 mk4 2.0 MX-5. It’s been lowered 30mm via Mazda’s (Eibach) lowering springs, but with the stock Bilstein dampers. I had WIM fit these, and also then do a fast road geo setup in May. It has the stock 17” wheels, but fitted with 215/45/17 Michelin PS4 tyres (205/45/17 was standard). 

It handles really well, however the niggle I have now is that the wheels sit too ‘inboard’, which is more noticeable now that it is sitting lower. It spoils the ‘sporty’ look a bit.

Several sources have suggested fitting spacers to align the wheels with the wings (15mm front, 20mm back), and whilst that is great for the looks I’m somewhat nervous about the impact on the handling as it’s a riot to drive and I don’t want to lose that!

Can anyone tell me what impact these spacers could make, and is it possible to compensate in the geometry settings for any negative consequences?

Many Thanks,

David

Hi David

I'm not worried about the rear whatsoever but there can be issues at the front. Saying that 15mm should be fine, however the concern would be to ensure the tyres scrub radius remains under the lower swivel. In the event the SR does move outside the camber can be used to compensate but finding the exact position isn't easy.

Word of warning. Get bolt-on spacers "Eibach" i think or you will need to change the studs.

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for the advice, I appreciate the help!

I think I'll try them after Christmas, and if the handling does seem to have taken a knock I'll book it in to see if you can check/tweak the camber. Worst case it's quite easy to reverse and remove them I suppose.

Thanks for the warning about the studs - I'd spied the same issue. Both the Eibach and Il Motorsport ones look good though; they both bolt on and are TUV certified which give me more confidence so I'll go for one of those.

Thanks again!

David