Geo needed?

TheBoy

After my XJ (X351) lost an argument with a huge canyon on the A4095 in Oxfordshire, I have replaced the affected wheel and the tyre.  Ouch!

However, the steering feels a little vague and imprecise.  Do you think it just needs geo adjusting, or is it likely there is further damage.

Not good....the fact the tyre and rim took most of the impact is actually a good thing but the change in handling suggests something in the chassis has moved.

The XJ has quite an adjustable chassis, so by design, Jaguar knew angles would move and that's without hitting a canyon.

Most "tracking" is a linear laser measurement or in other words, one dimensional. A longitudinal laser measurement "toe" is the least influential of all the angles and if displaced is normally a by-product of another angles displacement...... Now repeat that back while humming :D 

22 hours ago, Rich said:

How long have you been on this forum to know that tracking is a no-no! :lol:

Well, sometimes fact should be challenged to ensure its still valid...

...which roughly translates into a desperate attempt to save having to get myself down the Chesham this year :D

• 2 weeks later...

The main man ensured it was all straight, following its argument with a huge pothole that destroyed a wheel and a tyre...

wim1.JPG

wim2.JPG

Surprisingly, it was actually not that far out.

Tony - its a definite improvement, surprisingly, and seems to get better the further I travelled.  I wonder if the tyre is taking a while to bed in?  I'm delighted in that I know its all straight, so a very worthwhile trip, and always good to see you. Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Great to see you again and I'm really pleased there wasn't loads to correct, means you've got a very straight car there. The small adjustment on the toe will make a difference because as said it must have been toe out dynamically.