What pressure

jammy

So I am running 19" vectra vxr alloys on my 3.0 v6 cdti signum and I am running them at 40 psi front and rear.. 

I've seen supposedly official data stating 32psi front and 30 rear for a signum with oem 19s and then some supposedly official data stating 44psi front and 36 rear :unsure:

I'm lost at this now, 

The tags on my car don't list pressure for 19s as my model came with 17s as standard (19s were available as option extras and also some irmscher spec cars came with 19s standard so there must be correct numbers available? I first thought 40psi was to much but many seem to be running 40psi but I am wondering if 40psi is to much and a reason why I'm loosing grip 

Could the higher rating be for when the car is loaded?

Pressures are only a guide and I've always used what's the label with no issues, usually 32/33psi on 17s. Isn't the internal volume the same on the 19s as it is on 17s.

How does the car handle on 40psi? Have you tried dropping it to see what happens?

Up untill it's got colder seemes on but it's loosing grip quite easy now and I am wondering if the twitchy front is due to to much air? 32psi my 18s looked flat so they lived on 38psi..

I was brought up on the basis of take the wheel size and double it and then plus 2 and that's your psi.. Over the years it's sort of been true to form 

Mitchelin sport contact thingys... 

As its fweeeeeeezin cold here I've just been out and dropped to 36/34 which has made it a less crashy ride, and seems to of calmed down the twitching and tramlining somewhat.. 

Tbh I've never had 19s before and other than my old red mk3 astra years ago its only been the last 2 years I've ran 18s..

If the arches weren't so massive on cars these days I'd happily stick with smaller wheels tbf

55 minutes ago, SMARTLY said:

Have you got a manual for it, if so look in there.

Yes but as my car didn't come with 19s It does not specify 

And omg 42/38 that will be harsh as f**k :0

I ran 40 to save my wheels from . Getting cracked.. I didn't think I was far fro. The truth tbh but that seems extravagant.. Most of the time it's just me and a few bits of crap in the boot.. Most that would be is 4 but very rare

On the Lexus IS200/  300 i re-wrote the front geometry on them and on testing every 1000 miles the only inherent trait was under inflation tyre wear so i changed this from 33psi to 35psi....( small amounts ) and that solved the problem. 

Yeah it's tyre wear that's going to bother me given the price to replace them.. 

Car doesn't seem to slip away from me now but a little wobbly on direction change threw bends so gpigg to up it to 38/36 which I think will be just right for me.. My honda only runs 34/34  

18 hours ago, Tony said:

On the Lexus IS200/  300 i re-wrote the front geometry on them and on testing every 1000 miles the only inherent trait was under inflation tyre wear so i changed this from 33psi to 35psi....( small amounts ) and that solved the problem. 

It's amazing how such a small difference in pressure can have an impact on the tyre wear.

I've settled at 38/36 

More feel in the steering plus I can feel the tyres gripping front and rear now :) 36/34 actually felt like the tyres were  under inflated.. Don't spin the front wheels as easy now too

It's become a more pleasant ride too.... 

I'm 99% sure I've found my happy medium with the cars set up now.  

Aye mate I'm checking weekly any way as although I have my work car I still manage to wack up some milage on this of an eve and weekends.... 

At 40psi over 2500 miles I haven't noticed any wear issues front or rear.. Pretty sure the front will wear well with just 2psi less but the rear does concern me given its been lowered and running more camber than stock but everything is in the green and well within peramiters so I am hopefull :)