So do I buy an MX-5?

liner33

Looks like the Jag finally might sell so thinking I might sit on the money or trade the Octavia in next year and buy a new BMW M140i  

But i could buy a cheap'ish MX5

Never had a convertible and not even driven a MX5

Thinking about a Mk3 with the hard top/coupe and maybe spend around £10k 

Does Not need to be practical just for me and the wife to go out and about in on sunny days , I know they are slow'ish but I drive my sons Citroen C1 a fair bit now and there is something to say for ragging a car and driving hard and still staying in the speed limit 

Do it! You won't be disappointed :D

Yes they're not particularly quick but it's all about the drive, country lanes and having the roof down. If you're not sure then just get one for £5-£6k, there are plenty of nice MK3s for that money.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811192553371

How would you like my Silver Mk2.5 Nevada as a cheap tryout?

Could do with a new clutch as the pedal's a bit high, but it's been that way since I got it and it did 2000 miles through France last year without missing a beat.

I'm keeping the hardtop though and the paintwork on one side needs a tidy up but otherwise it goes well enough to get a feel for the MX-5s.

£850 to you as a Wimmer...  :)

Ahh Jag guy re-emerged so its looking like a deal is done and he will collect next week 

Any pics of the MX5 Andy ? I'm still in two minds to be honest , not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth but thinking I may wait until the spring to make a decision 

I was behind one of these today. Who ever was driving it wasn't very confident init as I was all over it in the signum  down the back roads from margate to ramsgate...

A very different look to the older ones.. I quite like it tbh

Are the chassis still as good and adjustable as the old ones? 

22 hours ago, jammy said:

I was behind one of these today. Who ever was driving it wasn't very confident init as I was all over it in the signum  down the back roads from margate to ramsgate...

A very different look to the older ones.. I quite like it tbh

Are the chassis still as good and adjustable as the old ones? 

Yep the MK1, 2, 3, 4 all have a fully adjustable chassis.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Oh yeah..... With a sky view if i recall. 

yuh huh the roof needs to be down for sure :lol: 

9 hours ago, Tony said:

You haven't driven a 5 then......

no but I bet they are one fun car to drive,a friend in Eastbourne had one and she loved it..it was boosted too and stuck to the road like s***e to a blanket haha..id love to have a go but tbh after I managed to get in rich's and somehow got back out the I could feel cramp setting in to my legs and my hips wernt impressed with me at all..i had an uncomfortable drive home that day :rolleyes: but I can see why many want them 

I've only driven a convertible once a Merc, although the wife had a Golf/Rabbit one when she was in the US it was always too cold , I felt very exposed and on-show in the Merc so wouldve have preferred the coupe MX5 with the folding roof 

Agreed the coupe is really nice and i love the folding mechanism, it's hypnotic. They do hold special needs in my job and that's the additional weight in the boot and they have a specific suspension to boot when it comes to lowering.