Suspension

Andy Hutch

Hello I am newby to MX5 ownership.

Love the little thing but it is so loose, soft and rolls a lot in the suspension. Need to wait for it to settle when changing direction. etc. Now that does make it interesting but also a bit unpredictable and is not confidence inspiring. 

I did quite a lot of web browsing and had decided on the the Ohlins Coilovers, I am biased to Ohlins because raced bike for a lot of years and have always used Ohlins.

This Forum appears to advise that the Meister CRD's are better, but have also read that they produce more noise in the cabin somehow? Dont want any more unwanted noise.

What I am after is the best suspension setup for fast road driving without losing too much comfort on day to day driving, would like to lower the ride height slightly and if they were adjustable so I can fine tune to my own preferences all the better.

Can anyone advise/confirm that the Meister's are a better option than the Ohlins for my NC 2.0 2012 KURO version?

Would like to get it booked in and set up.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by Andy Hutch
Missed a point

Welcome to WIM :)

Tony is on holiday for another week but will reply when he's back.

The Meister's do seem to be the recommended ones to go for though. I have BC Racing on my MK2 which were on the car when I got it and they've been good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome

I've never known issues with additional noise on the Meister's.  Ohlins are good don't get me wrong but they tend to have a high coil rate which is more suited to the track. Either way setting the chassis would be the same regardless, just be sure your happy with the ride height before the chassis is set.

Thanks Jammy.

I have decided to not spend loads of money on my MX5, I have part exed it for an Abarth 124 Spider, the handling is really good on that but! Its a bit harsh when driving normally, does anyone know 

a) Can you get softer springs for it? Do the springs of the standard 124 fit, the Abarth has Bilsteins instead of whatever the standard car has though.

b) Can you get Softer springs that will actually lower it about 25mm, or will softer springs automatically lower the car?

Also the car turns almost too fast, in the wet feels a bit too frisky, can it be calmed down with geometry set up?

Cheers

Andy

That makes sense.

Drove at the weekend, it feels quite good suspension when you are driving quickly.

Its just slow driving and in towns, that is very harsh, like the suspension is not reacting quickly enough. Is it the springs that are the issue or the dampers?

Are you advocating a set of Meister Coil Overs?

Cheers

Andy

Forgot to say i had my own coils made for the 5 so i had the Mazda lowering coils dyno'd and the rate is 350lb front, 250lb rear.

I've lowered many Abarth's but the owners bought their own coils so i don't know the rate. It would be high because the dampers are gas.

It's a shame you got rid of the MX5 before getting it setup properly. They are awesome cars to drive with the right geo and believe the difference between a good and bad one is night and day.

Enjoy the new motor though :)

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's a shame you got rid of the MX5 before getting it setup properly. They are awesome cars to drive with the right geo and believe the difference between a good and bad one is night and day.

Enjoy the new motor though :)

I did like it and it wasnt because of that I got rid of it, my brother in law came round and he had just bought an Abarth and I loved it, It is a bit bigger in the cabin and a lot more modern too.

I managed to find this last night.

https://www.124spider.org/forum/153-brakes-suspension/6521-124-lowering-springs-4.html

Are they progressive though? All I am looking for is to lose the harshness in the initial stroke, over small bumps when going slow, a little bit stiffer when driving faster would be OK?

Let me know you thoughts.

Cheers

Andy

2 hours ago, Tony said:

If the rates are F162 R97 then that's quite sedate but remember the Bilstein's are gas. Normally pig-tailed coils are progressive with the smaller helix working low compression cycles and the larger helix high compression.

You've lost me :-) Do you think the Eibach Pro (Softer) Springs or any other maybe progressive springs, will give me what I am looking for or do i need to swap out the dampers too?

Thanks

Andy

Keep the dampers nothing will better them. The pro coils are progressive meaning as i said low compression cycles which equal's normal driving suitable to your needs, whereas the main body helix which is where the main rate suits the more aggressive driving..... Fast-road/ track. 

11 hours ago, Tony said:

Keep the dampers nothing will better them. The pro coils are progressive meaning as i said low compression cycles which equal's normal driving suitable to your needs, whereas the main body helix which is where the main rate suits the more aggressive driving..... Fast-road/ track. 

Spot on.

Can you supply the springs?

What will be the cost fitted including Geometry setup?

How much will they lower the car and will it be lowered by the same amount front and rear?

Cheers

Andy

39 minutes ago, Andy Hutch said:

Spot on.

Can you supply the springs?

What will be the cost fitted including Geometry setup?

How much will they lower the car and will it be lowered by the same amount front and rear?

Cheers

Andy

Can you also supply wheel spacers, believe Eibach do those too?

Cheers