EGR Valves (on the Lexus)

The CT200h has been behaving a little oddly a few times. This is happening when driving or stopping but the engine feels like it's pulsing/juddering like it's not getting enough fuel. It's difficult to guage what's going on with no proper rev counter. It has full Lexus history and the last service was in July.

My brother who works for Toyota said the 3rd gen Prius has a common problem with the EGR valve sticking. The CT has the same engine so he thinks it is that but it obviously needs diagnosing first.

I took the cap off and removed the magnet and spring to expose the rod. When pushing/pulling it was sticking in places and wasn't smooth. It didn't actually stay stuck though and I moved it several times at full strokes which seems to make it a little better. The car has been used twice since I did that with no issues.

From what I have seen the rear nut on the valve is a sod to remove so I'm reluctant to go through that hassle to clean it, refit and it doesn't make a difference. Can I lubricate the rod part so it hopefully doesn't stick just to see if it makes a difference? Or is it the gunk inside that is causing the sticking? People have also removed and cleaned a pipe underneath it which looks easy to take off so I'm going to do that too.

Lexus diagnosis charge is £120 but I'll pay half that or it'll be free if that is the fault and they replace the EGR. The part and labour would cost me around £350. If I buy the part on eBay from Lexus it's £200 so add the £60 charge to diagnose (assuming it is the valve) and it'll save £90.

Does anyone know how they diagnose faulty EGR valves, is it something I could do myself?