Ford Mustang Drifts the Nurburgring.....

Tony

That's it though. Art is all about someones opinion of what is nice. With racing, the first one across the line is the winner, while with drifting the first one to make a nice pretty set of worn tyres and black lines on the road which impresses someone and is first across the line is the winner. You can be first, and lose because you weren't pretty enough.

Like many other so called sports which rely on someone judging how well they did (ski jumping "style points" for example).

forget the idea of drifting being a motorsport, it isn't; it's more like an extreme sport, but in high-horsepower rear-wheel-drive cars. Competitive drifting today has more in common with freestyle motocross, or skateboarding, than traditional motorsports.

This link will explain way better than me.

https://drivetribe.com/p/drift-101-how-do-drift-competitions-NQEZ7fYhSEqvwphgdbe5XQ?iid=Gpyu8K4rRQW5jI7UnNEoag

I suppose the main difference is driver skill. Unlike racing were raw power gives the main edge, drifting requires precision that converts to points. Power is a factor but only because  tyre smoke awards points and a wow moment for the crowd. 

I enjoyed that and you can't beat the noise and smell in the flesh. We went to a round of the BDC a few years a go and it was really good. I don't think it's taken off that well in the UK, they've reduced the number of rounds to just a handful now and there don't seem to be many other events.