Steve's Skyline

Steve-O

Ok going to have a another shot at a blog, after the disaster of photobucket decimating my MX5 one!!

One step closer to forfilling what is a childhood dream - Owning a Nissan Skyline R32 GTR!!

4 wheel drive, 2.6 litre, Straight 6 Twin Turbo. 276BHP as standard but almnost certainly this one will be at least 300bhp. These can go north of 400bhp with not much effort at all.

After a few weeks of scouring the Japanese auctions and having all sorts of fun with Auctions being cancelled and cars turning out to be wrecks i was able to find one that matched my requirements and place a bid.

I was after a Grade 4 car with a B grade interior. What that means essentially is the car is in excellent condition and above average for its age. I wanted Gunmetal grey which is THE colour to have IMO and also have a few mods and the N1 front bumper vents.

I put a few bids on last week but this was the one that stood out for me as the best possible car for my money. The process is somewhat nerve wracking as you set your bids the day before and then you go to bed whilst the auctions take place. You then have to wait until 9am the next day to find out if you were successful or not!!

Luckily for me i got the highest bid in and now i am the proud owner of this beast!! The agents on the ground who inspect the cars prior to placing bids commented on how impressed they were with the condition of the car, and that what was in the pics do not show how good it is. Which is good for me as it probably would have had more attention had people known how clean it was!!

c5At9Pmx48k7nc01wdkU1IpB3SiEqNOuDDdE6EA4UrQZ5HZ.jpg.2f3bd0e3bba60b26a5d20896c16f5044.jpgc5At9Pmx48k7nc01wdkU1IpB3SiEqNOuDDdE6EA4WSkFg35.jpg.da124aaa5411775d7686e3834dc3d2dd.jpg8KvxD4CPeYJMMMTdK3cmW9nh9pX99U3ZE5CMjwBis9YJ.jpg.9a664f8faf9a8d959515a42515877a39.jpg

To say i am pleased is an understatement. The process of importing is going to be painfully slow but i wanted to experience importing my own Japanese legend!

The next stage is the car is in the process of being moved from the Auction house, to my Agents private compound until it is booked onto a ship which will be later this month. I am expecting some detailed photos to be sent over soon which will be exciting as this is the stage where i really see what i have bought. I haven't yet seen under the bonnet or in the boot and have limited view of the interior etc so this should get interesting soon!!

Fingers crossed we get some nice surprises and some cool japanese gadgets when we get a decent look around her!!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Haha yes i stand corrected. Its 2.6 litre, Hence the RB26 designation - will update it :) Edit: Cant change my first post!?!

Yep they are R33 wheels - they suit the car so not a bad one to roll around on. I'll be changing  these in the future however!!

Nice one Steve, I bet the waiting to get it will be torture!!

Will you be taking it to garage d for any work? Most Skylines I see around here have their stickers in the window.

Non gold members only get 10 minutes to edit posts but I've changed it for you.

Yeah waiting will be painful. Whilst i am waiting however i am looking at getting my garage properly weatherproofed and i am testing a solar trickle charger/controller to try and keep the battery in good nick. I'm going to need to get rid of some steel shelving and install shelves up on the walls as this car will be a bit longer and i need all the floor space i can get!!

Not sure who i will take the car to for any work yet. I know garage D are about but i think their focus is on drift cars ? - I'd need to have a chat with them and see how i feel about taking my pride and joy over. I'm quite particular with my cars in general on how they get worked on, but i'll be set to 11 with this one.

Didnt realise my sub had expired?! Didnt get An email?

2 minutes ago, liner33 said:

Can heartily recommend Autotorque for Skyline stuff, you do need to be choosy  

http://www.autotorque.net/

Nice one - i feel i might be tapping you up for more knowledge in due course :lol: 

I've already got a mate in New Zealand with a R34 trying to get me to drop an RB30 in ffs haha

3 hours ago, Steve-O said:

Yeah waiting will be painful. Whilst i am waiting however i am looking at getting my garage properly weatherproofed and i am testing a solar trickle charger/controller to try and keep the battery in good nick. I'm going to need to get rid of some steel shelving and install shelves up on the walls as this car will be a bit longer and i need all the floor space i can get!!

Not sure who i will take the car to for any work yet. I know garage D are about but i think their focus is on drift cars ? - I'd need to have a chat with them and see how i feel about taking my pride and joy over. I'm quite particular with my cars in general on how they get worked on, but i'll be set to 11 with this one.

Didnt realise my sub had expired?! Didnt get An email?

They work on road cars too but yeah I'd be fussy about who I'd use as well.

So what's happening with the MX5?

We can no longer use the old way of selling memberships since the forum upgrade. So if your gold doesn't renew automatically you'll have to pay using the donation box on the forum index. I'll then change your status manually. You'll get 200mb of storage as well so providing your photos are small in filesize you could upload them directly to our server so they'll be in the blog permanently :)

MX5 not sure - the misses wants me to keep it as we'll regret selling, but part of me wants to focus just on the Skyline and let the mx5 be enjoyed as it deserves.

Unless someone has a secure unit near hemel i can rent cheaply and store my fleet !? :lol:

Will sort my membership out but i will say 200mb is a bit stingy - i'll hit that fairly quickly!! ;)

Nice move Steve I do like the Skylines although most that i see are highly modified. Garage D are definitely more Drift orientated, i know that because i used to set all their cars..... Good luck with the gray hairs waiting for the shipping and hay no looking at the shipping forecast, it won't help :whistle:

• 1 month later...

A number of weeks in now and i have been checking the ships progress daily as it made its way through the indian ocean via Singapore, up the suez canal stopping at Lebanon,Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Spain and now in the English Channel on its way to Roterdamn. Bloody car is more well travelled than i am i think!!

Not long before it hits UK ground but even then theres a way to go before i'll turn a wheel in her.

I have a significant amount of Genuine Nissan OEM rubber seals  and fixings to bring the door seals up to new standards. These are somewhat expensive and tricky to obtain as a lot are no longer being made (although this situation is improving a lot as the US come online and the demand drives the parts to be re-produced). I also have a Personal Neo eagle steering wheel to replace the standard one (i want to preserve the original).

I also have a set of rays Gramlight 57cr wheels (17x9, ET22) in gloss black on order from Japan which will be fitted ahead of pick up

download.jpg.a779b2dcfc4c1ffb762f94fcd1be9810.jpg

Likewise a major service including water pump and belts etc will be done also. Goes without saying its getting undersealed and also getting extra cavity wax sprayed inside the sills for good measure.

In reality its looking like January will be when its ready for collection. I'll have some better pics of it soon so when i have those i'll pop a few up :)

Yeah its simply not worth not doing them bearing in mind a full on rebuild (at a good spec that i would undoubtedly go for) would run to 5-8k upwards. A tomei oil pump is over 1k on its own! Not for the faint hearted thats for sure. That said though these cars are firmly in sitting in legendary classic status so this is all money well spent and helps with its pedigree.

The wheels should looked very good but it all depends on the ride height - i might need to get the HKS coilovers adjusted to suit, thats if they are aren't seized to buggery!