Test drove one of these yesterday

SMARTLY

Looked at these before deciding on the BMW although didn't test drive one. Do they have the same engine and running gear as a Prius/CT200?

The boot and overall size put me off. The X1 doesn't have a massive boot compared to the Accord so I'm glad we didn't go for one.

Would be perfect for you though. You bored with your current car?

I'm thinking of may be getting one, but the Toyota dealers won't discount them. So I'm looking at brokers at the moment to see what they will do.

Think the engine may be the same as the Prius but the CT is only 99bhp as opposed to 122 bhp so not sure about that.

Parkers gave it a really good write up. They beat the 72MPG and got 80 odd out of it. Perfect driving, no aircon, etc. of course but still very good.

HERE is their review which is quite detailed after the summary page.

Only downside I can see (from a personal view) is that the rear seats don't fold down. If you aren't likely to use that feature then its not going to matter. They say it is based on the Prius.

With a hybrid the quietness is great but you hear all sorts of other stuff! :) I keep meaning to put a speaker in that plays a bicycle bell sound or something as it's less aggressive than a horn for when I'm in car parks behind people who have no idea I'm creeping along waiting for them to get out of the way. Toot the horn and they jump and get annoyed. Nothing offensive about a bike bell though and may get a laugh.

I really like hybrids. Not everyone's cup of tea I know.

4 hours ago, SMARTLY said:

That's a good review Geoff, thanks :) Seats do fold as there is a picture towards the end of the review. Did you mean the seat base doesn't fold just the back?

I must have got mixed up there - I was flicking between the review and the trip he took getting the 80MPG. Happy days! I did think it was odd not being able to. It even says it does in the basic equipment spec.

I see where I've seen it - In the MPG part he says "In the C-HR the seats don’t fold and there’s only 377 litres of space back there." so clearly wrong. If people are just browsing like myself, that could be really bad as they may not look at it again.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I must confess when i get in one i still sit there waiting for it to rev up.

Yes it takes some getting used to - you are in park or neutral and rev up... nothing happens. It knows it doesn't need to so doesn't even if the engine has fired up.

I love hybrids and silently rolling along behind people walking, then they realise there is a car behind! Maybe they should fit some sort of sensor at production so when it detects a person in front or behind it gives a beep outside of the car.

Has anyone actually been seriously injured by walking out in front of a hybrid? I'm assuming not as the situations where people are walking out in front of them the car won't be moving that fast. 

My Outlander has a quiet warning signal that switches on at low speeds so it's not silent when in areas likely to have pedestrians.

However, pedestrians can be quite careless and I do look out carefully for them. A few days ago I was driving on a country lane with no footpaths. I was approaching some minor road works that were coned off and narrowed the road. A pedestrian was walking towards the roadworks with his back to me (he should have been on the side of the road that faces oncoming traffic). Without looking round, he walked onto the centre of the right hand side of the road to pass the roadworks.  I slowed behind him and followed him through the roadworks.

My impression was that until I passed him on the far side of the roadworks he was completely unaware of my vehicle.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

In New York hybrids had to make a sound..... not sure what, a fart maybe? which would work well since it's for the blind B)

As of next year all new electric and hybrid models must emit white noise ahead. Mercs already do.

As of 2021 all Electric and hybrid vehicles must be retrofitted.

55 minutes ago, Geoffers said:

As of next year all new electric and hybrid models must emit white noise ahead. Mercs already do.

How will they enforce that, a change in the MOT rules?

On 27/08/2018 at 15:26, Geoffers said:

Will that be disclosure's version of white noise? :unsure?