CoolAir...This is worth a read....

I bought the Maplin version of this years ago but to use as a humidifier when my Mum had lung cancer.

Their was quite clever in that it had a roller with an absorbent material at the air intake. The material slowly went through the water picking (if you can imagine it was like a big belt sander standing vertically) it up and the air through it added moisture to the air.

It was also twice the size and had a 4 litre tank. I used to put ice cubes in too.

It was meant to cool it but it didn't really. Well, to be fair, if you were really close the moving moist air was a lot cooler but outside of a foot or two forget it - it never cooled a room.

Here's the an image I found of the Maplin one below. Still got it but since bought a two part aircon from Ebay. They are great. They come overcharged so after you have made the connections there is a small valve you open to purge the air in the connector. Very clever. Probably not eco friendly as some refrigerant is bound to come out with it.

Unfortunately, I've been looking after my Dad this year so unable to enjoy it so been using this Maplin one and it's still just as crap. (as a cooler). Humidifier and filter it's great.

Nikkai-Air-Cooler.jpg

I got mine about 3 years ago but there are similar on there (they've gone up a bit, I was lucky and got one for £299)

HERE's a similar one. It is 12,000 BTU and you can control from your phone too. This is easyfit exactly the same as mine was. Mine is 14000 BTU and easily cools a 12'x15' room - I never have it lower than 19 degs as it gets too cold!

The other thing is they are heat pumps too so in winter you can have localised heat if you need it.

If you're looking, be careful as some are cheaper but don;t include the pipes. 

• Thanks 1

They aren't overly noisy but in the dead of night I wouldn't like it if there was one 3m from my open window. There is the compressor and fan on the outside unit if you can imagine that. Of course I don't hear it because the window is shut in the cool room.

It's ok of a day and isn't annoying or anything and although it can be heard you don't notice it.

You can get some with longer pipes if it's possible to put further away or around the side? Mine came with 10m pipes.

So do they plug into a 13 amp socket? I did some googling on the company selling that on ebay and they are working from a mail box ( as it's only 15 miles from me ) and the phone number they quote does not exist as it starts with a 7. Also, they are setting up a website that says it will be available July 2018. But it's available elsewhere for a bit more.

How big a hole is required for the pipes and electric to go through? I was wondering about a 2 or 3 outlet one, so have one compressor driving 2 or 3 rooms but they can get very expensive.

Is there any problem with them freezing if they are outside in very cold weather?

Yes they plug in, although I have mine on a fused switched spur and on all the time (only takes about a 1/4 of a watt in standby) and I just use the remote to switch on and off.

I used a 100mm core bit and had plenty of room for everything. In fact that was a bit big - possibly 80mm but depends on the pipe diameters I guess.

There are two connecting pipes (flow and return), condensate drain and mains that all hook onto the inside unit and neatly go out of the back to the external unit. You get thick insulated tape to bundle them together. Any excess you can coil this bundle behind the external condensation unit.

They have taken into account weather extremes and I've never had an issue. The joints are all brazed rather than soldered and that sort of thing.

I can honestly say it is one of the best purchases I made. Even when it isn't sweltering, just when it is hot in the room flick it on. Or better if you wake up hot and hit the 30 min timer and nod back off, it switches itself off.

Mine is MZB which is a chinese rebrand but has never leaked or anything.

Just to add, double check on the one you are looking at about the plug because the operating current of the compressor and fans may take it over 13A depending what power you get.

In theory, 12000 BTU ok on a plug, higher and would have to be a fused spur but mine is 14000 btu and came with a plug which I used for a while without any issue. I would always put any high current device on a fused spur anyway just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for replies and advice Geoffers :)

I'm just thinking about what to do. I wouldn't fit it myself as I am too old to climb a ladder with 32kg in my arms !! Just thinking about what type of person I would need to install it. With multiple outlets or multiple compressors would want to hide cables inside so may need to put the electrics into a multiplug i.e. plug to into a four way fused adaptor so just thinking of any problems.

My intention wouldn't be to leave it on overnight normally, just drop the temperature before bedtime and like yourself maybe push on a 30 minute timer in the night in the extremes.

18 hours ago, Geoffers said:

I got mine about 3 years ago but there are similar on there (they've gone up a bit, I was lucky and got one for £299)

HERE's a similar one. It is 12,000 BTU and you can control from your phone too. This is easyfit exactly the same as mine was. Mine is 14000 BTU and easily cools a 12'x15' room - I never have it lower than 19 degs as it gets too cold!

The other thing is they are heat pumps too so in winter you can have localised heat if you need it.

If you're looking, be careful as some are cheaper but don;t include the pipes. 

Thanks for the link :) A bit pricey for me ATM but looking at the work needed to install it I'm probably better off waiting until we have moved to hopefully a forever home.

2 hours ago, SMARTLY said:

Thanks for replies and advice Geoffers :)

I'm just thinking about what to do. I wouldn't fit it myself as I am too old to climb a ladder with 32kg in my arms !! Just thinking about what type of person I would need to install it. With multiple outlets or multiple compressors would want to hide cables inside so may need to put the electrics into a multiplug i.e. plug to into a four way fused adaptor so just thinking of any problems.

My intention wouldn't be to leave it on overnight normally, just drop the temperature before bedtime and like yourself maybe push on a 30 minute timer in the night in the extremes.

I remember having great difficulty getting it up the ladder using multiple tie straps to help edging it up each rung. H&S nightmare - I would have been shot in a commercial environment. :lol:

They don't need  good plumbing skills as they have made it so easy now so I guess someone who has general building experience.

If you are thinking of multiple head units, I suspect one unit will need a more beefy feed to go out to the condenser, and the second a lesser feed to the second one as it will just be control and fan but I'm guessing. Possibly on a multi headed unit it needs a separate supply to the external condenser. 

I would look at it coming off a fused spur either way though but I'm going over the top. Some washing machine/tumblers take the same power and they are fine and on for some time. Prepare yourself for that though in case they are larger units and can't go on a plug.

HERE is an installation pdf on the eco air version. Seems even simpler than mine as you don't need to purge the air.

On their model they are saying >12,000 takes 20A so you'll need a fused spur rather than plug. Less than 12,000 and you're ok.

Just been looking where I was thinking of siting the outside unit and I'm not sure there is enough room as I have a lean-to along part of the side of the house. Maybe take out some plants and mount it on some bricks / slabs.

I've decided to call a couple ot installers and get them to quote me for "their" systems to meet my needs, then knowing what these units you have linked to cost I can look for a way forward.

Thanks again for your comments :)

Good idea.

Final ref - here's an install video. They all seem to have gone one better and the pipes come pre-attached one end but with a vacuum. The system is over pressurised and then when you connect, the vacuum draws it into the head unit. Very clever.