What's with the weights?.......

Tony

Oh wow, interesting. I would have thought that lump of crap was heavy enough already.

As it a CC (convertible) maybe its something to do with roof mechanism adding some weight to balance the roof when opening or closing? Or just giving gravity a hand when going up/down?

By adding a mass to an object, you can change its resonance frequency - there was an Open university video on vibrations in one of the ferries (caused by the propeller blades passing the hull).

By adding a mass to the vibrating plate, you change the frequency of vibration, and can reduce the resonance...

it looks like cutting the roof line may have made the rear of the vehicle flex a bit more, leading to a resonance/boom effect. (anyone remember the old Hillman Minx convertibles? needed to be "straighted" at the garage after a year or two)..

Colin

Maybe its a balance thing trying to move weight to the rear ? The Skoda Fabia had weights behind the rear bumper , some people used to remove them but no-one on the forums really knew for sure what they were for 

Maybe but they are a little to light to make a difference. I get the exhaust has a frequency so the correct weight would change were the vibration hits the saturation point but i can't see what a floating 10kg on the chassis would change.