BMW X1 Tyres

Rich

They were terrible. I'd rather carry a spare and have a quieter drive than put up with that. The actual ride comfort didn't feel that much softer than the runflats though.

Too my knowledge all BMW's are on the RFT apart from the M series. The handling is fair on the X1 although the tyres do tramline and are rather noisy, oh and they cost the earth as well.

Sorry to be so tardy in responding to this one, but I was waiting for the chance to speak to my daughter about it. 

She bought a new X1, just about a year ago and I seemed to recall that it did not have run-flats. When I spoke to her yesterday she said that run-flats or not is one of the many options that can be chosen when setting up the specifications for a new X1. She chose not to have run-flats.

She was very pleased with the handling of the (four wheel drive) X1 when driving around Colchester in the extremely bad road conditions that have prevailed there recently.

• Like 2

Thanks for the real time exposure regarding the RFT's. I wasn't aware they are part of an option pack but this also opens some questions? I was told the BMW wheel was composite to reduce unsprung weight and the suspension was downgraded as second line of defence from the tyres concussion migrating to the cabin.

Oddly there's no geometrical difference that I'm aware of so I'll look into that since i have totally different settings for the RFT developed in house so i wonder where BMW place both chassis geometrically?

Sorry to be so tardy in responding to this one, but I was waiting for the chance to speak to my daughter about it.

She bought a new X1, just about a year ago and I seemed to recall that it did not have run-flats. When I spoke to her yesterday she said that run-flats or not is one of the many options that can be chosen when setting up the specifications for a new X1. She chose not to have run-flats.

She was very pleased with the handling of the (four wheel drive) X1 when driving around Colchester in the extremely bad road conditions that have prevailed there recently.

That's good to know, I assume the car is on normal Bridgestone tyres supplied by BMW? Is it the 2.0 auto diesel?

The runflats are an optional extra but it's ticked as a yes by default, you have to remove the option to have the normal tyres.

Another option is adaptive suspension which allows you to change the dampers from soft to normal. I thought the ride was fine without this option but I can see it being more beneficial on runflat tyres over normal ones.

I don't know much detail Rich. It's petrol not diesel and it's certainly automatic. I took a few pictures when she brought it home to show off and from the pics I can see that it is marked X drive 2.0i. I can also see that it is on Bridgestone Turanzas. Of the suspension, I'm afraid I know nothing. 

I guess they are trying to get more people to use runflats by giving them as a free extra. I guess some people don't really care, won't check and will expect it to come with normal tyres.

I drove an xdrive 2.0 diesel sport auto and an sdrive 1.8 diesel se manual. The suspension was the same on both but they have different seats which affects the comfort too. The auto was much nicer to drive though!

Yes the option isn't ticked by default on the M Sport models. I wonder how long runflats will last for, no one seems to like them and they haven't really been adopted by other manufacturers.

Versions of the RFT has been around for years and all of them failed. This time the car manufacturers have embraced the RFT but i think this is more about money that being they don't need to supply a spare tyre ( space saver ) or tools which is a requirement if driving on the motorway.

If the runflat option is left ticked BMW supply a can of goo and compressor. Uncheck it and they supply a jack instead but the space saver has to be paid for. Although £75 is pretty good, Lexus want double that for a new one.