BMW X1 Tyres

Rich

Is it quite a harsh ride on runflat tyres, similar to a car being on coilovers or not as bad as that?

I'll be testing one anyway so will find out myself but with the bigger profile tyres on an SUV that should cushion the ride a little I think compared to low profile runflats?

If normal tyres were used that would mean ditch-finders could be fitted as they're likely to be available in that size? But with a runflat there is probably only a couple of tyres available and they'd be premium ones?

If you had a choice between the 2 and ignoring the cost what would you go for?

Next car then Rich?

It's just something we're looking into ATM! :)

Yes but ignoring the cost, if money was no object what would you go for? Obviously the only benefit of RFT are not having to change it for a spare if it's needed.

How available are the RFT too, I've read a couple of posts saying they're not always available off the shelf and there's a wait?

I'm not looking for any make, they'll come with whatever BMW supplies. I just want your opinion on what tyres you would get, the runflats or normal?

I've just driven the car anyway and there is quite a bit of noise from the runflats plus they are a little hard so based on that I would go for normal tyres.

I don't think you understand me Tony. I don't want to know about the makes just which is the better tyre to go for, runflat or normal.

After today's test drive though the only advantage I can see for getting runflats is if the tyre blows or gets a puncture. Although I've not driven the car on normal tyres I'm getting the vibe that the comfort and noise is better with them from what I've read online.

Although it was only a short test drive as soon as the car started to pick up speed I think the road noise was the most annoying thing. I could probably live with the hard ride if it was just me using the car but on very long journeys I can see it getting tiresome.

Test drove one without the runflats earlier and the difference in road noise is night and day! With the runflats once you hit 30-35mph+ there is a constant droning! On the normal tyres it's more or less disappeared. The tyres were Bridgestone.