Mx5 NC MeisterR Setup

SafeTrisK

Hi

I own a 2007 Mx5 NC Sport and have recently installed MeisterR Zeta CRD coilovers. On setup I wanted to achieve a ride height of 345mm and I achieved this before taking it in for a geo in the Midlands. Since then I've noticed that the ride height has lowered slightly on each corner to around 335mm. This has actually caused me to bottom out on a speed bump quite regularly.

If I were to adjust the coilovers to raise the car to the desired height of 345mm would I then again have to take the car in for a alignment? I have also come to notice that to obtain an even ride height on all 4 corners, there is a difference of around 3mm from collar to collar on the front and 2.5mm on the rear. Is it advisable to have the same distance between the collars across each axle?

Also at my alignment I was informed that a few of the adjustment bolts were on the verge of ceasing, so I've decided that I will be changing all 8 bolts, but not until next spring. I was also thinking of replacing the bushes that correspond to the adjustment bolts. Is it ok to change these to poly bushes whilst keeping the OEM rubber bushes in place on all other links or arms. I would say it's ok otherwise why would you be able to purchase individual sets of bushes. Obviously I will be replacing to match one side to the other.

Many Thanks

Hello

The coils are cold-rolled so a 10mm drop is within limits. If you return the ride height to 345mm +- 5mm then the geometry will stay the same.

The collar to collar difference is fine providing the top collar, ( the one the spring sits on ) is the same over the axle. Adjusting the height means you undo the lowest collar and adjust on the second collar from the top for up and the first collar ( the spring sits on ) for down. After the collar the spring sits on to the lowest collar should measure the same.

The adjusters being seized is not uncommon and in truth a regular spray of plus-gas is all they need. Poly's are a harsh drive and high maintenance, so unless the car is intended for track use there's no real benefit. 

Hi Tony

I will return ride height to 345mm just to gain that little more ground clearance. As the coils have settled would I need to adjust the top collar to gain the desired preload or would this not of been altered?

I meant the difference between the two locking collars as I've not adjusted the top spring collar. There is just a small difference between each corner on the same axle, which is ok?

I've recently been told that along with the adjuster bolts becoming seized, this has caused the bushes to become significantly worn. Would this be the case? If it is poly bushes are definitely the cheapest way forward as the only way to get hold of the OEM rubber bushes that I can find is to purchase 2 new front lower arms, 2 new rear control arms and 2 new rear link arms, which is costly.

My plan was to only replace the bushes with poly that I needed to, would that have such a great impact on ride quality?

What sort of maintenance do poly bushes need?

You need to undo the lower collar and turn the second collar to change the height. The 3rd collar ( the coil sits on ) adjusts the pre-load which should be set at default +5mm from the factory. If your unsure ( jacked up ) loosen the collar the coil sits on until the coil is loose ( chatter ) then add 5mm.

I'm not convinced the bushings are worn hence the reason i say plus gas the bushing where the adjuster bolt goes through the bushing. Poly's run dry and squeak and since there are 30 bushings in all identifying which one is squeaking is impossible. 

Hi Tony

I'm aware how to change the heights I spent around 2 hours to get the ride height equal on each four corners when first installing. I was just wandering to achieve this there were slight differences in the distance between the lower locking collar and middle locking collar from one side to the other on the same axle, meaning the struts are of differing lengths.Is this ok or should I make them equal?

I would only be replacing 8 of the bushes which would make it easier to locate a squeak. But as you said I don't think there is anything wrong with the bushes anyway or maybe the bolts. Just a case of an establishment trying to get more money out of customers. The same establishment who quoted me £1100 for a small rust repair on one of the rear wheel arches. Won't be using them again.

I would say slight differences is cosmetic so providing the body trim height is the same then fine. In regard to the bushing wear of all the MK3/ 3.5 we've seen i've never had one with worn bushings even when the front upper A-arms have been pre-loaded for over a year.