Feeders

Sagitar

The conclusion that we seem to be heading towards is that the browser that I have been using, i.e. Microsoft Edge inside the latest update of Windows 10; is not completely compatible with the software of the WIM site.  It's necessary, because of my use of some other sites, for me to continue to use Microsoft Edge as my default browser, but I can install Chrome in isolation and use it to access the WIM site. That is what I am now going to try.

I would be interested to know whether anyone else is using Microsoft Edge with the latest version of Windows 10 and whether they are having any problems in accessing WIM and/or loading images.

I think part of the problem is there are so many browsers you can use now on different operating systems including mobile ones that they don't all work in harmony. The constant updates from Microsoft also don't help.

Having massive problems with Rooks and Jackdaws on out feeders , comes from living in the country I guess but the whole feeder can be emptied in hours when those descend on it 

As an aside we already have a family of Blackbirds in the garden with the young almost the same size as the parents , seems very early to me ? 

Magpies and Jackdaws empty mine in no time as well - just looked out of the window and they are empty again!

Having massive problems with Rooks and Jackdaws on out feeders , comes from living in the country I guess but the whole feeder can be emptied in hours when those descend on it 

As an aside we already have a family of Blackbirds in the garden with the young almost the same size as the parents , seems very early to me ? 

I have put strands of wire across the open sides of the bird table so that birds up to about the size of starling can get in but nothing larger.

The perches on the hanging feeders are too small for the larger birds to get onto them. So we have corvids and wood pigeons etc sitting on top of the bird table roof, but not able to get at the food. The best that they can do is sit on the ground below the bird table and eat the scraps that fall as the smaller birds are feeding.

• 6 months later...

I agree and it's kind of Darwin's law, survival of the fittest. It's only our intervention that labels them as rats. Understand I'm not speaking from a religious point of view but i do believe life is life wherever the model so to speak. Yes i consume meat and yes that's taking a life but it's for survival, not eradication or sport so in my mind that's acceptable.  

It was our fault for introducing them to the UK but the numbers need reducing drastically. They have more or less wiped out our red squirrels. Some still exist on the Isle of Wight and if a grey one is found on the ferry when crossing they have to turn back and remove it. Taking grey squirrels on to the Isle can lead to 2 years in prison or a big fine!

I live near Formby Red Squirrel reserve and a member.

They have certainly caused a large yes but probably not for the reasons most people think. It's a number of reasons. They actually live alongside the Reds quite happily and that's why the Reds suffer.

Greys are immune to Squirrel pox virus which is the biggest killer (80% of Reds by 2008) and the grey get it but act only as carriers and pass it onto Reds which unfortunately have close to 100% mortality rate. Grey live in much higher density than Reds so overtake their feeding grounds and living spaces, plus if there are any diseases they pass them straight on and with a smaller population, proportionally more die. Greys are much more efficient at feeding and storing in woodlands, and being bigger also store more fat in their bodies so tend to survive for more winters. 

One of the reasons the reds are doing so well on this reserve is because they feed on the seeds found in conifer pine cones. Reds can get to them but the Greys are too heavy so just move on elsewhere and don't bother living near them if there isn't much of another food source. Plus, the volunteers locals "remove" any Greys that are sighted in the area.

• Like 1

It's taken from inside our dining room through a window. I would guess the distance was 6 or 7 metres but I could be wrong. I'll measure it if you really want to know. 

I hadn't set up for the squirrels but for small birds that I expected to be moving quickly.  It was dullish, so I pushed the ISO to 12,800, fixed the aperture at f/5.6 to get some depth of field and set the shutter speed to auto. The picture was taken at 1/2,700 sec. The camera was on a tripod, but swinging free on a gimbal style set up so the  tripod was supporting the weight and keeping the camera horizontal, but not holding the camera still. The camera was a Fuji X-T3 and the lens a Fujinon 100-400mm zoom with image stabilisation and set to 400mm focal length. But I also cropped the image and the sensor is not full frame so I'm guessing that the focal length might be the full frame equivalent of about 900mm.  I used auto focus and targeted the eye.

It's a real credit to the Fuji optics, engineering and firmware that you can push the parameters in this way and still get the resolution that you see. 

1 hour ago, Sagitar said:

It's taken from inside our dining room through a window. I would guess the distance was 6 or 7 metres but I could be wrong. I'll measure it if you really want to know. 

I hadn't set up for the squirrels but for small birds that I expected to be moving quickly.  It was dullish, so I pushed the ISO to 12,800, fixed the aperture at f/5.6 to get some depth of field and set the shutter speed to auto. The picture was taken at 1/2,700 sec. The camera was on a tripod, but swinging free on a gimbal style set up so the  tripod was supporting the weight and keeping the camera horizontal, but not holding the camera still. The camera was a Fuji X-T3 and the lens a Fujinon 100-400mm zoom with image stabilisation and set to 400mm focal length. But I also cropped the image and the sensor is not full frame so I'm guessing that the focal length might be the full frame equivalent of about 900mm.  I used auto focus and targeted the eye.

It's a real credit to the Fuji optics, engineering and firmware that you can push the parameters in this way and still get the resolution that you see. 

I was just wondering as I knew it couldn't have been close. In saying that, they are so cheeky is could have been.

I just think it is a very good picture - do you ever send to the local newspaper or anything about the wildlife in the area? Or have they barred you from all the competitions now :-)