Reckless or plain ignorance?....

Tony

I agree with Rich - that's not a recently used flange as there's long term rust on it.

Also the wheel rim isn't one from whatever flange it's bolted to as the centre bore is way larger thank it should be (although that's not always a problem as I use larger bore rims on my MX5s).

Definitely a fake / staged pic and wouldn't have been straight off the road.

You can see the rounding of the dish of the wheel where it's been scraped by the wheel nuts. A brake disk wouldn't be profiled out like that. Does it honestly look thick enough to be a brake disc? Look at the damaged area round the studs and you can see the thickness of the material there, and I'd guess it's about 3mm or so.

Okay, looking closer and thinking outside the box a little...

disc1.jpg

Maybe someone put a wheel on a driveshaft without the brake disc fitted. The nuts fitted are blind and will have just bottomed out on the studs before the wheel was tight against the flange. Usually the brake disc thickness would mean they went tight before bottoming, but without the disc it left a wobbly wheel.

Okay, looking closer and thinking outside the box a little...

disc1.jpg

Maybe someone put a wheel on a driveshaft without the brake disc fitted. The nuts fitted are blind and will have just bottomed out on the studs before the wheel was tight against the flange. Usually the brake disc thickness would mean they went tight before bottoming, but without the disc it left a wobbly wheel.

Yep, that's my take on it too.

Wheel nuts have bottomed out and not gripped the rim to the flange and its a cobbled up mess anyway without a driveshaft through the bearing because the bearing will wear massively without being held together by the driveshaft or at least a CV joint in there.

Almost certainly a home-brewed trailer wheel affair. That's why there's no brake disc.