Tony's Ferrari F360 blog....

Tony

Just bought 1 X etch primer, 2 X top coat "spray", 1 X  gell coat, 1 X 1/2 ltr tub of top coat.......£115 :crying_anim02:

All this to finish the engine bay base and the new centre console...... I dare not count it but i must have well over 20k in this car now.

Since the weather is now compliant today I've done some body work, namely areas I've damaged during the winter by replacing the seats and removing the engine cover.....

IMG_1084.JPG.2ed53afede3a7918796f14c10d6bbf6d.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG.c6546adc9d67fb8e62cc5c76c4f02676.JPG

The new centre console came painted with primer so after a clean I've added the colour..

IMG_1087.JPG.28a03efad7687e310fd645088d015e1d.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG.4921ff3c0430d37548f998cc6b81eaa7.JPG

IMG_1089.JPG.6a6634cdc3fb61780e09b6ecbd0a4778.JPG

Some areas developed a kind of blue splat, not sure why but one dry I'm going to wet sand the paint and then top coat it.

Over the weekend I'm going to spray the engine covers bay in the correct blue and then size the spacers for the glass.... I've decided to undercut the spacers and shim them for a perfect fit.

Next decision is the wheels colour.... I'm thinking gold or gun metal?

IMG_1086.JPG.ac3b3c48ef831df8960d435777e7f25d.JPG

Taking advantage of the weather today I've under coated, colour coated and clear coated the engine bays base. All ready for the engine cover fitting on Sunday.

Pictures to follow because i think it's time i had everything in place now....... In addition, I've cut and sized spacers ready for the glass fitment. Deliberately I've undercut the spacers, so I can shim them for a perfect fitment.

Engine cover fitted back in today.... All went well other than the depth? Seemingly i was about 10mm out meaning the box is hitting the chassis cross brace. It's annoying but solvable it just means I'll have to re-shape the brace?

In addition, i knew the handbrake wasn't holding despite being fully adjusted, so it was wheels off today in the hope it's just worn rear brake pads and looking at them i think that is the case.

So wheels, rear wheels off and getting ready for powder coating next week but i have a problem?...... Namely the finish?

The high end F360's had gold wheels as an option. I pondered Gold, Silver or Gun metal but i keep going back to gold.

zzzwxscuderia_wheels_gold_a-600x600.jpg.0050a00a4468f199db296faba786082a.jpg

I can get the wheels treated, blasted and powder coated for £55 a wheel so i think that's the way I'll go?

• 2 weeks later...

Engine cover fitted and i must say I'm pleased with the result.... Rear wheels are out and getting powder coated gold. I've also bought gold wheel nuts just to compliment the wheels.

Current battle is shimming the platforms the glass sits on.... It's not easy because the glass is curved, plus i also want to make the glass removable, rather than just glued on.

They certainly look like a great job!! I think when they have tyres and mounted on the car it will all come together.

Have you done anything to address the shallow offset on the rear though tony?

No i don't think so...... Mind you if they do then there's nothing i can do about it because if i add another spacer there will be too much strain on the hub.

I've also got a set of torque gold wheels nuts... Annoying thing is i can't find gold studs for the fronts, so I've ordered new studs and gold enamel paint.

They are open-ended but i don't think you will see the studs. Odd thing is the rear is studs and nuts but the front is just studs?

I would just like to say "bollocks!!!!"......... I've been dicking around trying to fit new brake pads on the rear in the hope it will take up some handbrakes travel. After much swearing the old pads look as good as the new pads!.... So looking at the handbrake cable i was thinking how i could add some washers to remove some travel. Then i realized the handbrake adjuster nut had worked it's self loose hence the travel...... What a bummer and a wast of time and money!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a slow few weeks and if i don't get off the pot ( no Jammy not the smoking type ) then I'm going to run-out of summer......

Today i have finally shimmed the glass engine cover for a perfect fit. Trust me curved glass against straight edges is hard to fool appearance wise.

This time I've shimmed the glass on removable shims meaning when needed it can be removed. Why is that an issue? Well the glass is glued to the shims but this time the shims are not glued to the car.

I also have a little paintwork to deal with before the glass is finalized, which I'm good with once my new air-brush is delivered.

The reserve handbrake travel is sorted as is the rear hatch release cable which wasn't releasing both locks.

Front wheels are being powder coated and should be ready Friday. In the interim period i need to remove a broken front wheel stud to comply with MOT regulations.

Having gold wheels and silver studs isn't the look i wanted and although i now have new gold rear wheel nuts i cannot find gold studs, so today I've sprayed them in enamel gold paint.

Next mission is dressing the new centre console. Electrics, gear lever mechanism etc but to fit this i need to remove some trim around the ICE, the ashtray, side pillars, but worst of all one of the seats, which I've only just fitted :rolleyes:

Finally, since the front wheels are off I need to remove the NSF arch liner so i can get to the headlight electrics.... Two bulbs are out and there's no other way to get at them.

I know how you feel, got so much to do and no time to do it in! 

Did you not get all the wheels sprayed at the same time? Will there not be a slight variation in colour?

I collected the front wheels today and again the finish is perfect. Pictures to follow.

Off topic a bit i found my outside security camera has been attacked?... Wiring pulled and solar panel smashed off, as well as being knocked off-line from its point of view.

The car is not in a "drive away" condition but i wonder if the gold rear wheels fitted has gained someone's attention.