Tony's Ferrari F360 blog....

Tony

The new Ferrari seats are more of a challenge than i expected. I thought all i would need to do is replace the frame rails with my universal rails and happy days.... Sadly no. The Ferrari rails are part of the seat frame and not a bolt-on addition.  This means i now need to re-shape the rails before i can fit them onto the universal rail mounts. In addition on inspection, the seat rails have been modified before meaning things are not as clear-cut as i thought. 

If they've been modified previously and this wasn't mentioned on the listing you are within your rights to request a refund. Especially if the seller is a business.

Will fitting them to the universal rails mounts not make the seats higher? Have you checked the clearance between them and the roof?

I might of missed something but why are you faffing with the seats if you want to sell it next year? Are you trying to get a higher price buy adding them in ? :)

Sounds kind of stressful - you need to look after yourself remember Tone!

That's what I was thinking too, why spend the time and money fitting the seats and selling it before you've even used them.

Are you expecting to get more money back than what you paid for the car? Looking on eBay they seem to sell for less than what you got yours for :(

The seats should have cost 2k, so there is some residual added value when it comes to sell.

Replica prices differ massively online but the time of year and originality of the build impacts the true sale value. Remember I'm not a desperate seller so if i need to I'll site on the sale indefinitely.

• 5 weeks later...

Time to fit the F355 seats....

The initial issue is the 355 seat rails are not detachable so i need to modify them to fit my universal mounts. The rear seat pick-up points are fine but the fronts need some work namely a butane burner and some bending. 

IMG_0976.JPG.82b0fa53a5c775edc77446f63b56d9a5.JPG

Once level i was able to fit the base

IMG_0978.JPG.db3c51271de7f9a6f9c2c613bd095254.JPG

Everything appeared to be plumb

IMG_0980.JPG.dbb205d8100e219fbfe2ebf9223af6b1.JPG

Once fitted the seat wouldn't retract!!!!..... I think i know why and that's i think the rails are a tooth out hence the reason the seat can't move. A minor problem but given the weather and mud I've been working in all day, it's a job for Sunday.

Feeling a bit niffed  :angry2:.... Not only do the seats have paint on the seat base outers and the plastic mechanism covers missing but now it appears one of the driver's seat rails is missing :censored:... I've only noticed now because i "was" going to fit the universal base. 

I get it that they are used and the paint on them will be out of sight and i can use the old seats plastic covers but missing this rail is a p**s take since none of this was mentioned in the description. I now have loads of aggro making a new rail, not only for the fit but it will also have to work since it's the driver's seat and it will have to be able to move.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to scratch that itch....the engine cover.

We all know what it looked like but there's a fake and there's a good fake. I want a good fake. So after much thinking and looking for parts the best thing i think i can do is start over and re-dress what i already have.

At this point, it's strip down time.

IMG_0981.JPG.edaee1d84dc2821b481e54cb1665c003.JPG

I'm going to replace the engine box and that will be painted the same color as the car so that it looks part of the build and not a coffin. Surprisingly the frame is alloy so after cleaning and making good I'll either leave it bare alloy with a lacquer for protection or I'll spray it and coat it.

The air boxes are as suspected plastic, so I'm going to strip these, spray them crinkle black and replace the rubbers.

IMG_0982.JPG.f2b212004e32a02b9ade38c61483f506.JPG

Suprised again the rocker covers are alloy...

IMG_0983.JPG.34a49d89d14420cd1e9bbee98384c875.JPG

What i didn't know was they are part of a bigger cover cut in half...

IMG_0984.JPG.361b0bc7551898d1fbf5d732a9a191ca.JPG

Again these I'm going to strip and paint them in the correct Ferrari red crinkle spray....thoughts of why bother get echoed with the cost of used rocker covers range from £1000 to £2500, so i think I'll stick with plan A.   

Spent the day coating the rockers and air boxes in paint stripper....... What a F&ing wast of time and money. Hours later the paint was nothing more than tacky.... Just made a few calls only to find i can have them bead-blasted for £20.... Why! oh why!! didn't i do that first? 

Rocker cover and engine frame gone for sand blasting. It was quite funny because the guy was really making the point that they couldn't guarantee they could clear all the sand because the rocker wasn't fully striped.... I had to show him images because he just couldn't get the fact it's a replica???

Currently I'm making good the air boxes ready for etch primmer and black Ferrari crinkle paint.  Anyone here done crinkle paint before?... I've watched it done on youtube and any more tips would be welcome.

Just collected the parts from the blaster... The rocker cover is perfect and back to the alloy. The engine frame they didn't do? Reason being what looked like alloy welding is actually mastic needed into a weld patten "crafty"... So the frame they just cleaned but whatever £15 for the two is fine by me. 

Pictures to follow.....

Sprayed the plastic air boxes in black crinkle paint, and they turned out perfect.... Next was the recently bead blasted alloy rocker cover which i thought would be easy, even more so since the air boxes went so well and it went crap!!.... The paint cycled between just a red mist, then clogged and then covered correctly. End result is runs, uneven crinkle and just a mess. I put this down to two things. The paint and the temperature? So here i am again, the rocker will need blasting again and I'll need more paint :banghead: