Sign in to follow this  
liner33

Citroen C1

This is my sons first car

I will start that I am not a fan of French cars , that said the C1 isnt really French , its made in the Czech Republic at a factory that also makes the Toyota Aygo and Peugeot 107 , they share many parts and most of the important stuff is Toyota ie engine . box etc

Truth is that whilst the Aygo was my first choice by having the Toyota name on the back they are a lot more expensive than their French cousins and as a first car just seemed that bit too much to pay

So we picked up this 2008 C1 "Rhythm"  (Gets a CD player and rev counter over the base model) for £1800 late last year , road tax is a measly £20 pa and its managing a steady 55mpg+ on average. Its done 66k and has a full Citroen history , long mot and recent clutch and brake overhaul

Insurance was a pleasant surprise after hearing horror stories of £2k plus premiums for 17 year old boys we got a policy with the Halifax for a little over £1k with no black box, curfews etc

So back to the car , it needed very little , I bought a set of mats for it as there were none fitted and we quickly lost a wheel trim so i bought a new set,  but didnt want to invest too much time until he passed his test though. We went out in the car together while he was learning and after initially having issues with stalling I adjusted and lubricated the throttle and clutch assemblies and he had no problems after that . I drove it myself a few times to check it all out and whilst its 3 cylinder 998cc engine only has 68hp it goes along pretty well and is capable of the usual motorway speeds , its so light and chuck able it handles the poor country roads around here with ease. 

So after he passed his test I thought I would give it a good detail

The paintwork wasnt bad but some really clumsy touching up had been done resulting in big slodges of paint over the chips , so I flatted them back with 2000grit wet and dry and then 3000grit before machining the sanding marks away . Whole car needed to be clayed, some really stubborn contamination that i think was tree sap but really took some getting off , before machine polishing with Dodo lime prime 

Followed up with Pete's 53 wax and finally Supernatural Hybrid spray to increase the gloss

Not bad for a 9 year old car even if I say so myself , I thought being so small it would be easy but the exterior alone was a full days work

Day 2 saw a complete interior clean and treatment and attended to a few little jobs like resealing the rear lights (Common place for water ingress) , fitting a dashcam and pulling all the spare wheel and jack etc out for a proper check over and refurb

I have ordered all the stuff to give it a full service inc brake fluid which I'll be doing this week , still waiting on oil from Opie but have done the plugs and air filter so far , service parts are pennies for these also

Needless to say I have a happy boy , he is enjoying the freedom that passing your test brings

20170503_115517_zps8vbvwmbe.jpg

20170503_120104_zpsc1zxtbqv.jpg

20170503_151814_zpssm3mwv3z.jpg

20170503_151819_zpsr5y10h9d.jpg

20170506_091913_zpsbfpcgkfy.jpg

20170506_091927_zpsrchwaahl.jpg

20170506_134117_001_zpskmaihsff.jpg

20170506_152321_zpsh1xk6fhf.jpg

20170506_153451_zpsolgiioci.jpg

That looks awesome, you've done a great job. No wonder he is chuffed :D

• Like 1

You've done a good job there, great start to motoring for your son..

Nice work but i wouldn't have expected anything less from you :D

Havent updated this in a while

Over Christmas we replaced the exhaust system, the whole lot from the manifold/cat back, cost us around £75 inc the fitting kit (all new rubbers and clamps etc) and delivery and put a couple of new front tyres on (Continental Eco-Contacts to maintain the matched set) 

Last weekend got a frantic call from my son to say he had broken down with a flat battery , got to use my little jump pack in anger and got him home and found the battery was dated 08/05/2008 so decided just to replace it , a new Varta from Tayna was £54 delivered. 

So its still going well. 

When the weather gets better I will attend to a minor oil leak , small job but exhaust manifold needs to come off so might end up stripping something  

post-2100-0-78387900-1521220306.jpg

Almost problem free then.... Where's the oil comming from?...Pressure switch is favorite for that.

Original battery did well then! :D

That's what I like about these kind of cars, parts and repairs are cheap.

Almost problem free then.... Where's the oil comming from?...Pressure switch is favorite for that.

There is a panel on the front of the engine where the crankcase vents from I think , its fitted using sealant and the sealant dries out over time and allows it to weep , there is no pressure behind it so its a minor leak , truth be told I could just clean it up prior to mot and it would be fine but I will sort it properly 

Excessive oil is an MOT fail but it would need to be really bad...As you know a small leak dissipates on a hot engine making it look way worse than it actually is.

yep it was an advise last year , I have already sorted the brake pipe 

Advisory notice item(s)
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Oil leak slight ()

Reads like both issues were cosmetic although i agree about changing the brake pipe advisory or not.

Reads like both issues were cosmetic although i agree about changing the brake pipe advisory or not.

Didnt change it , repaired it , discussed with mot guy and its minor so I cleaned with a dremel and had a good look, treated the rust and then painted it with smoothrite, its a section about 2" long and an obvious water trap , should be fine now  

Newish brake pipes have some sort of coating on them making it look worse than it actually is.