Autosolo tyres

MalvernDan

Hi All,

A couple of questions:

1, Suggested tyres for Autosolo on an mx5 mk1 15"

2, Again for Autosolo I have already a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3, depending on the answers to 1 above would I be OK misusing tyres on the car as long as I keep the same per axle?

Thanks and Happy new year,

Dan

Hi Dan

There isn't a dedicated autosolo tyre so i would fit one of the soft compound tyres like the Rainsport 3 which has a good heat cycle but you would need to manipulate the pressure... Mixing the tyres isn't idyllic but again working the heat cycle will overcome. 

Unless you are on a perfect smooth surface then I think you'll find that any old tyre will do as they won't last very long whatever you use.

Personally I prefer 14"s, particularly on the back, to keep the car loose and readily turned. I have run 15s on the front and 14s on the rear to good effect.

Thanks for the replies folks, I guess I will stick with the Rainsport's then. I need to learn a bit about tyre pressures and how the pressure effects grip during 90 degree turns at high revs, lowish speed.

Dan

and at also mostly cold tyres. It seems the norm to increase the front tyre pressures (MX5 Mk1) by 5-10 psi for Autosolo to help to prevent sidewall wear.

As the car is used for road driving as well, albeit just at a weekend, then the suggested castor adjustment may be undesirable but could the fast road set-up be a happy compromise?

Thanks again

Dan

A decrease in the pressure speeds up the heat cycle but also adds to the tyres slip angle. In a perfect world you would set to a known pressure. Replace the air with nitrogen then monitor the pressure change every few laps. Once found this will be your future starting point.