Tesla Autopilot predicts an accident caught on dashcam.....

Tony

you can see the brake lights of the car ahead ( the SUV ) through the window of the corsa. The corsa would cause a blind spot for the radar of the car ahead the camera systems contribute to the overall system but i would have thought the radar would have picked up most of that anyway. Added to the predictive calculations for collision, its a very smart system

The IS-F does that regardless off whether the radar cruise is on or not. Alarm goes off as soon as it detects anything stationary or suddenly traveling slower than I'm going, and it doesn't only react to what's immediately in front.

The proximity parking sensors go off if I get too near another vehicle, or someone walks in front or behind the car, but the audible beep which warns for impending collision only goes off when the software computes the current speed with braking distance. The beep is the first indication, followed by the seat belt tensioners operating just before auto braking. In a traffic jam this doesn't happen, unless I guess if plant my foot on the accelerator to deliberately try to ram the car in front (no I haven't actually proved this). All this happens in standard drive mode. In radar cruise mode it regulates speed to keep a pre-determined gap to the vehicle in front. This gap has three settings which you could classify as far, mid and close, but even the 'close' gives enough of a gap for other vehicles to move into from another lane (usually a Volvo), which then triggers the belts and auto brake (the reason I rarely use cruise except in average speed camera situations, and of course fog).

Yes, always a surprise when it happens as it does pull you back into the seat with quite a force. Goes back to normal after braking. Just thankful that the designers had the sense not to incorporate the air bags in that system as there are 10 or more of them.