What winter tyres for the Lexus

Rich

Thanks for the links.

It looks like the good tyres are the premium ones and I can't justify spending £600+ on them.

A few of those that are cheaper aren't in the size we need, which is so frustrating.

I'll probably wait until September before getting them now.

Nice find :smile_anim:

It wasn't really a find Tony. I've been looking at that site for some years. I'm pretty sure that the Continental Winter Contacts that you put onto my first Prius were confirmed as a good buy on that site.

I got rid of the Lexus IS250 because of it's very poor handling on ice and snow. It's a while ago and I might get some of the figures wrong, but I seem to remember; rear wheel drive; about 220 bhp; no limited slip differential; auto gear box. And the consequence on the gentlest upward slope with a bit of snow or ice. Even with no accelerator, a wildly spinning left rear wheel with a stationary right rear wheel as soon as Drive was engaged, which it did with a terrific "clunk".  It was at the start of my cardiac problems and I recall coming home from a cardiac session at the hospital and having to take a spade to the snow under the car to get it up the gentle slope into the Close where I live - not a recipe for survival.

I sympathise with Rich. The Continental Winter Contacts have rocketed in price since I had them on my first Prius. I paid about £75 a corner fitted in 2009. Now I see them listed at about £135 a corner before fitting.

Some tyre prices are shocking now compared to 5+ years a go.

It also depends on the size of the tyre and how popular it is - 225/45/17 has a lot more choice and is cheaper than the 215/45/17 the Lexus uses.

I did look for the 16" wheels to use for winter but they rarely come up for sale but they use a 205/55/16 tyre. The Dunlop WS5 which is about £90 delivered in that size, in a 215/45/17 it's £120. Having said that, compared to the 225/45/17 which is £115 there's not much difference in price.

Maybe they're just cashing in on most cars coming with larger tyres now?

• 7 months later...

With the missus now doing around 5k extra miles a year taking Josh to school as it's cheaper than paying the council for their taxi I am definitely getting winter tyres for the Lexus this year.

Is now the best time to buy or should I wait until next month/November, will prices come down?

It doesn't look like prices have dropped since I looked last year. I didn't look over the summer months as I forgot but winter tyres on the whole seem really expensive now, for the premium ones anyway.

It doesn't look like prices have dropped since I looked last year. I didn't look over the summer months as I forgot but winter tyres on the whole seem really expensive now, for the premium ones anyway.

You might just have missed them, something seemed to happen end of August.... I meant to get mine last week, but so preoccupied with family grimness I didn't get round to it. Checked prices at my local place again on Monday and they'd gone up by £20 a corner  :crying_anim02:  :crying_anim02:  :crying_anim02:  Luckily Blackcircles hadn't changed their prices yet and found an odd one on the Bay of fleas at a good price, so only lost out to the tune of £30.

Well I've narrowed it down to these 2 - 

Dunlop Winter Sport 5 - https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=320&typ=R-281019&partner=1&ID=psm_rdg_uk_tyrereviews&Country=GUK

Nokian A4 - https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=320&typ=R-323594&partner=1&ID=psm_rdg_uk_tyrereviews&Country=GUK

There are more reviews for the Dunlop, they're a premium tyre compared to the Nokian which is mid-range and I've used the 3D winter tyres before which were excellent. There's only about £12 difference a tyre so I think that's made my mind up, the Dunlops it is :)

• 1 month later...

Well the missus wasn't keep on spending over £500 on tyres so the Dunlop got ruled out. I've always wanted to try the Nokian A3 and they have a lot more reviews than the newer A4 so going for those. Currently £97 on Oponeo but I've seen the price fluctuating so I think I had better order them soon.

Anyone else got their winter tyres on yet? First frost of the year this morning so I think it's time to get them.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job I ordered them when I did, they increased a day or two later and haven't gone down yet.

Had them fitted earlier and I've only done 15 miles so far but they felt a lot grippier than the summer tyres felt on the way there. This was down the wet muddy country lane as well. I don't really like the way asymmetrical tyres handle but these feel ok so far and don't seem to tramline that much but it is early days so we'll see how they are after a few more miles.

• 2 years later...