First car and first insurance

My son was 17 at the weekend , has his first lesson this week and the search for a car has begun.

I'm thinking the Toyota Aygo 1.0 , wanting to pay around £1500-£2k the plan is that I may use it a couple of times during the week instead of my Jag so I will be a named driver but not the main one , the car and the insurance will be in his name

I'm not having a lot of joy using online sites to get quotes , some have come back with around £400 which cant be right , I'm expecting around the same as the car will cost

Any advice on A) Car Choice, B) Ways to get sense on quotes C) Methods to bring the costs down a little (legally)

Did you put down he has a provisional license? I have read that when you change it to a full after a pass then the premiums rise dramatically.

You could try the Admiral 10 month accelerator policy, it's what the missus started on. I guess you won't be keen on a black box being fitted?

Did you put down he has a provisional license? I have read that when you change it to a full after a pass then the premiums rise dramatically.

You could try the Admiral 10 month accelerator policy, it's what the missus started on. I guess you won't be keen on a black box being fitted?

Yep , maybe it is cheaper if he is supervised . Dont really want a black box if i'm driving it as that might impact his premium :) , but i'm telling him that it has a box whether it does or not

Cant recall but they were a known one , this was through Compare the market

If that's from a known company and a real quote I'd jump all over that!  :D

Yep , maybe it is cheaper if he is supervised . Dont really want a black box if i'm driving it as that might impact his premium :) , but i'm telling him that it has a box whether it does or not

Good idea, it probably would have worked on me if my parents had told me that  :lol:

Car wise I think the Aygo is a good shout but it's worth sticking a few different cars in the comparison sites to see how they compare - car insurance seems to make no sense nowadays and different people in different areas can have wildly different results.

People talk about sticking older cars on classic policies but that's probably not the smartest decision from a safety perspective.

Cant recall but they were a known one , this was through Compare the market

If that's from a known company and a real quote I'd jump all over that!  :D

Good idea, it probably would have worked on me if my parents had told me that  :lol:

Car wise I think the Aygo is a good shout but it's worth sticking a few different cars in the comparison sites to see how they compare - car insurance seems to make no sense nowadays and different people in different areas can have wildly different results.

People talk about sticking older cars on classic policies but that's probably not the smartest decision from a safety perspective.

The £400 wasnt a one-off a lot of companies came back at that but it could be this whole cheaper whilst supervised thing

Wife wants something new enough that it has decent safety , I fancied getting him a classic mini :)

Ahh in that case that probably makes sense which is actually not bad then - also means that it's worthwhile getting a policy going as soon as possible as you can still build up no claims as a provisional can't you?

Classic mini would be awesome but think I can see where the wife is coming from  :D

• Like 1

Really whys that?

Because a learner is always supervised.

Whilst learning technically the teacher is responsible for all that goes on whilst the learner is behind the wheel.

Once the learner has passed they can go out by themselves and they no longer have supervision