Does anyone ever check theirs or replace it like a serviceable part?

I have been reading about them and the only symptom I have is high oil consumption, it does need topping up regularly. I'm going to pull the hose off and inspect it but a new one is around £20 so I'm thinking it might be worth replacing it anyway.

I took the valve out, it just pushes in to a grommet, then I removed the value from the hose as it needed some persuasion. After removing the grommet there is oil in the holder, I'm not sure if that's normal or not but there was also oil in the hose, which I've read shouldn't be there. It's a one way valve from the black end to the red.

I removed the engine cover to expose the other end of the hose and it's collapsed as you can see in the photo. Looking down the hose the opening isn't very large, just a small slit.

Cleaned everything up but I'll be ordering a new valve and hose on Monday. I'm wondering if I need to clean anything else like the throttle body.

WP_20161105_14_32_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20161105_14_44_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20161105_14_53_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20161105_14_47_25_Pro.jpg

New valve, grommet, hose and clips have just been ordered from Honda for £40 but the hose will take a couple of weeks to get here though.

Hopefully the car will use less oil once they're fitted and it might even help performance wise but either way that hose must be doing more harm than good!

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted the new parts now. The grommet the valve pushes in to was definitely past it's best, the old valve could be pulled out very easily. With the new one I had to make an effort to push the valve in so it definitely wasn't sealing well.

Replacing this seems to have sorted an issue I've had with the car since getting it. Under 60mph when I lift off after accelerating the rev counter drops immediately to 500rpm (idle speed) and then rises. Now it drops more progressively and smoothly and not to 500rpm.

I've not driven the car much so need to keep an eye on it to see if the problem has actually gone. I'll also keep an eye on the oil consumption and see if that improves.

WP_20161119_11_26_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20161119_11_26_39_Pro.jpg