Favourite car battery

The one I bought for the Accord is a Varta. My first time with this brand and probably my last, it's just under 3 years old but is giving me problems already.

I've used Bosch and Exide in the past and they've been great, never gone flat once. So I'm likely to go for one of those.

Other options are Numax, Powerline and Enduroline. I've used none of those and never head of them.

There is also a Duracell one, I didn't even know they made car batteries!

The Honda one is Panasonic, I'm going to see how much they will do one for before I buy. The Bosch and Exide are both under £50 delivered with 4 year warranties.

Having said that the Varta has a 4 year warranty but if I send it back I know they'll say there is nothing wrong with it. I don't think I can trust it now to not leave me stranded somewhere so replacing it anyway.

My usage pattern has been the same for the last 10+ years and I've never had a new Bosch or Exide battery fail on me.

Well the Ctek is supposed to check the battery condition, charge it and check it can hold that charge. It said it was ok when I charged it the other week.

I have always used a 12v compressor to inflate the tyres on all my cars and never had it drain the battery before. I literally used it for 1 minute per tyre and it had gone flat enough to not start the car, that can't be right?

The missus does even shorter trips than me several times a day and after fitting a new battery they have never gone flat again.

The CTEK says it is and that's an intelligent (and expensive) charger. After jump starting it yesterday I drove 60 miles, which would've topped the battery back up, then it was turned off and on several times with no issues at all. It seems to be when you use the battery without the engine running that is loses juice really quickly. It could possibly be that loose clamp has caused an issue with the battery?

What about Yuasa batteries, I've heard of those before but never used one, are they any good?

The CTEK says it is and that's an intelligent (and expensive) charger. After jump starting it yesterday I drove 60 miles, which would've topped the battery back up, then it was turned off and on several times with no issues at all. It seems to be when you use the battery without the engine running that is loses juice really quickly. It could possibly be that loose clamp has caused an issue with the battery?

What about Yuasa batteries, I've heard of those before but never used one, are they any good?

Have you investigated the car to see if there is excessive parasitic current that causes a battery drain?

Have you checked basic things like glove box or boot light continually on? Any aftermarket stereo fitted? Known technical bulletins?

I need a beer

I think it's charging ok on the car otherwise I'd be having issues all the time.

This has been happening since the start of the year. Where I had the car parked up for a week or 2 while I used the MX5 the battery had drained to the point it struggled to start but would catch. In the summer before we went away I used the compressor to inflate the tyres, then the car wouldn't start. This is also what happened yesterday. But as said I've done this for years with no problems at all, on the Accord and previous cars.

I don't think there is a drain, the boot and interior lights go out, not sure about the glove box as I can't see when it's closed. I'm sure this battery is just crap and like liner said short trips won't help but I've never had a new one play up before the warranty has finished.

Putting a piece of copper in the clamp sorted that being loose and the starting issue I was having. It's started first time, every time since I did that but I think it may have possibly damaged the battery in some way.

It's never been really flat but it's probably happened too many times now! If I sent it back can they tell if it's been discharged a few times?

Haven't got a price for a Honda one yet so still undecided on what I'm replacing it with.

I've been reading the warranty page on the Tayna site and I can see them saying it's not a manufacturing fault. There's nothing about return costs but I'd imagine I would have to pay and if the battery is ok it won't be refunded. I'll email them and ask though, you never know.

I've just ordered a new battery from Honda - £44 delivered!  :thumbsup_anim:

The car started fine this morning with the cold and heavy frost but at least I won't have to worry about it dying on me now!

Battery arrived earlier but is damaged. It's packed in a box with sawdust but no protection over the top and the box it was placed in didn't have any this way up or fragile markings on it. It looks like something has been dropped on top and bent the post in causing acid to leak out!

Honda are sending a new one out on Monday and told me to keep this one. I'm assuming it won't be safe to use in the shed so I'll have to weigh it in.

honda battery 1.jpg

honda battery 2.JPG

honda battery 3.JPG