Mk3 Focus new front tyres and alignment

Gman

They're only 1db lower than the Hankook's we have on the Lexus and I don't think they're noisy at all. 1db can't make that much difference so maybe the car isn't as well insulated, which means they can be heard more?

Yes I agree .. which is why I still think it's odd can't understand why they would be this noisy..

Just to clarify when I posted my front toe figures it may have looked like it was negative when in fact it was wasn't ... not sure if this makes a difference.

0.6mm Left

0.6mm right

Total 1.2mm

I assume this is still ok and within spec .. to be fair the car tracks straight on the motorway .

They should be negative..... At the moment the static 1.2mm becomes about a dynamic 2.4mm. Reason the static toe is negative is because of the drive. The bushings load dynamically hence the reason a FWD has a static negative.

Spot on...... One we take any angles position we can then change toe or camber or whatever to alter the tyres grip limits. Hows this for an example, a car fully fitted with hardened bushings like Poll's needs zero toe because there's no compliance in the bushings.

As an instructor i trained instructors for some of the biggest tyre companies in the UK and i'm scared to say their knowledge in even basic chassis calibration is worrying since their understanding is what gets past onto the guys on the floor. The real problem is wheels alignment/ geometry isn't regulated which is odd given the consequences if done incorrectly.

Yeah it's pot luck out there when it comes to alignment!!!

Shame your so far away from me ..

Front wheels swapped over this morning.. not driven the car enough yet to tell any difference.

Spoke to my local garage about adjusting the toe and even the bloke in their was unsure about toe out / in and how it effects the front wheels when under load !!

I was assuming that if I adjust the toe by same amount but negative (0.6mm) this would be fine and not effect anything else ? Bloke in the garage was saying it depends on the camber of the wheels ? 🙄 ...

Rubbish.... Toe is longitudinal and camber vertical both hold their own forces during the suspensions transition. Toe is a compliance angle with a desire to be zero dynamically so -1.6mm static should = -0+ dynamically..

That's what I thought and im no expert .. just joe blokes off the street .

Looks like I may need to take it somewhere else , though most place's seem to think I'm talking rubbish and they know better . Why can't they do as I ask or understand.