Insurance Add-ons

The insurance is due on the MX5 so I'm getting classic car policy quotes. The renewal is £265 and Footman James just quoted £225 but have listed loads of add-ons.

By the time I add the drive to work, agreed value and legal protection it's more than the renewal quote as all of these are included in that. But am I right in thinking that I can use the legal cover I already have on the Accords policy or is it best to get them separately?

Also, the excess on my current policy is £250, I've just realised the Footman James is only £50 and the premium is £10 more so this is the better one to go for I think.

This is the list of add-ons:

Untitled-1.jpg

I would be surprised if the legal cover would cover a different car, even though it is you that bought it. Your other insurance may cover you to drive any other car, this one also has separate insurance bought by you, it is therefore covering you for claims - I doubt you could mix that element. I may have mis-interpreted what you're saying though.

May not affect you but a word of warning if you pay for the hire car cover. Just renewed mine and a big one for me is the included hire car in the event. Couldn't find it anywhere in the terms but it seems with Admiral the hire car is only given when it is deemed by an engineer that the car will not be written off (no matter how obvious), which could take days for an assessment. It also doesn't cover you if your car is stolen. I only found out because their sales team rang me a few days later asking if I wanted that level of cover for an extra £65! I contested for my money back or for them to point out in the full terms. I can't see them in the publicly available one.

That's what I was thinking but then I'm sure I've read if you take legal cover with another policy it can be used on others  :unsure:

I don't pay extra for hire cars just whatever is included but I do make sure one is provided.

Oh damn, that means the 360 is already there! Should have checked that out for my last renewal, will do so for the next :)

It's definitely better, you don't need any NCB just insurance on a daily driver. The cover does seem to be better than standard insurance too.

Footman James only charge £10 to add agreed value but I think there are a few conditions. They have to agree the value beforehand and it needs to be verified by an owners club - a paid one, not a forum.

Footman James only charge £10 to add agreed value but I think there are a few conditions. They have to agree the value beforehand and it needs to be verified by an owners club - a paid one, not a forum.

Hmmm, while I could tick those boxes I'm not sure what value the FOC would agree to on mine - in which case perhaps someone like Admiral is better because you can just argue with them based on other cars for sale and get a similar amount.

For a bonafide classic it's different, but for something like mine it's still fairly clear from the market what its value is.

Maybe look in to it, maybe the agreed value is a minimum amount and if the market price is more you'd get that.

I don't think I'll be going with Footman James, the online quote was £275 but it wouldn't let me add the coilovers so I emailed them and the new quote is £330, £65 more than my renewal!  :blink: