Battery or charger

Ahh cool that looks quite similar to mine, I'll grab that if I can't get mine working properly.

I've noticed that most panels have cig lighter connections - isn't the cig lighter switched in most cars? In which case this wouldn't work? Only thing that got me thinking is that Porsche official trickle chargers plug into the cig socket, and I'm pretty sure that the sockets in Porsches are switched too so do these chargers somehow still work?

Sorry about the late reply, been away the last 2 weeks. I didn't actually install my mirror closure unit so need to stick my head in there and see what's about - I should be able to just identify the positive and negative cables on the solar panel and scotchlock them in to these cables?

Yep. Don't forget a fuse and switch though if you are cutting off the cig lighter plug just in case something goes wrong with it or you need to switch off quickly.

This is the Costco one I saw.

Bargain

Ahh cool that looks quite similar to mine, I'll grab that if I can't get mine working properly.

I've noticed that most panels have cig lighter connections - isn't the cig lighter switched in most cars? In which case this wouldn't work? Only thing that got me thinking is that Porsche official trickle chargers plug into the cig socket, and I'm pretty sure that the sockets in Porsches are switched too so do these chargers somehow still work?

I know, it's crazy to me too. At best I'd put a cig lighter socket connected to my positive lines so I could remove the panel or disconnect quickly if necessary.

So the panel I have at the moment has either an OBD port connection (which I suspect is not working, do you know if the IS has power to the port even when the car is off?) or it has a direct battery connection via crocodile clips.

I was thinking of cutting the crocodile clip cable and tapping that one into the main wiring - the wires have a plug in the middle so I can disconnect the panel easily. Do you think that will be ok?

I can't remember if there is power on the ODB tbh.

Yes wiring in that way will be fine providing you have an inline fuse as well. 

Awesome I won't be able to do this for a few weeks as I have a lot going on - I'll inevitably have a ton more questions when I actually start to do this :)

• 1 month later...

So some good news, it looks like my battery is fine! I used my CTEK tender to revive it a few months ago, and then due to being busy just left it sat in the garage for probably 2 months. Put it in the car last weekend and it started straight away and is running perfectly so it looks like the battery is still holding charge.

I need to look at wiring in the solar charger properly, but in the mean time would something like this do the job to quickly and easily isolate the battery when I'm going to be leaving the car unused for long periods?

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/car-battery-chargers/richbrook-dis-carnect-battery-immobiliser

I've fitted those in the past , to motorhomes etc which also sit for long periods. You get two types , one with the fuse to power an alarm or clock etc and one without. If you do go for the fused type get plenty of fuses as they blow if you try and start the car , and you will forget :)

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/563/disconnect-battery-terminal

Awesome thanks guys, I'll pick one of those up when I get a chance. Just took the car out again for a run and all's good - always so nice to jump in the IS as I forget how good it is to drive, wish it had more power though as it's so slow!

Was re-reading Geoff's comment above and thinking back that would make sense, think I left the car unused for 2 months which led to the flat battery, which adds up in terms of a 2.4W solar panel not having enough power to keep the charge up for that long a period. So it probably is working fine (found out that in most cases ODB ports have a permanent battery feed) but that was just too long to leave it.

• 2 months later...

I have finally used my CTEK charger! I did the Accord battery the other night without reconditioning it and it was done within 12 hours. I then decided to do the MX5 battery, including using the reconditioning feature and that was done within 12 hours. I can't say I've noticed any difference in the way the car starts but at least I know both batteries are ok :)

I'm still looking for a cheap one for the shed, it's amazing how much people pay on ebay for used batteries!!