Skoda Yeti

Viking

In recent years car theft has increased and it's down to keyless technology. There has been loads of it around here the last few months. Either the vehicles are being stolen or they're being unlocked and possessions are taken. It takes a few seconds to put a fob in a pouch, no brainer for me and makes it a little more difficult for them.

Well, it's been a joy to have a heated seat which works. Got the winter wheels and snow tyres on  yesterday which has vastly improved the roadholding. Heated windscreen is very handy too.  No sat nav but has android auto so the phone links to it and provides Google maps. All in all, very happy.

6 minutes ago, Viking said:

Well, it's been a joy to have a heated seat which works. Got the winter wheels and snow tyres on  yesterday which has vastly improved the roadholding. Heated windscreen is very handy too.  No sat nav but has android auto so the phone links to it and provides Google maps. All in all, very happy.

Sounds good :) Did you keep the winter wheels from the last yeti?

23 hours ago, Rich said:

In recent years car theft has increased and it's down to keyless technology. There has been loads of it around here the last few months. Either the vehicles are being stolen or they're being unlocked and possessions are taken. It takes a few seconds to put a fob in a pouch, no brainer for me and makes it a little more difficult for them.

Yes it happens , high end cars attract professional gangs , but its really not as widespread as the Daily Mail would have you believe 

ml7bAYgE.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It was common on the early ones, stone chips cause it. On models from 2010 they applied a plastic protection strip over the area to stop it happening. Mine missed out.

As regards the service history, it had fill history until I bought it, then I did a full filter service as soon as I got it and then oil services myself after that. Brakes etc as required. I did leave the parts box lids with the part numbers in the service manual and noted the dates in the service book but that hardly constitutes full service history when it's now overdue for cambelt, haldex, etc

Probably hoping the new owner won't check it's there. I know people who have bought cars from traders without even driving them or checking the paperwork! As car enthusiasts I'm sure all of us on here would check such things thoroughly.

• 1 month later...
On 02/02/2019 at 12:01, liner33 said:

Keyless car theft is massively over stated . Yes it happens but car theft rates today are pretty low historically . I had an immobiliser put on the BMW but I don't bother doing anything with my other keys . Any professional car thief wont be looking for cars like mine or others mentioned in all honestly.  

I'd love to live in your world believing all will be ok and it's not as bad as it's made out. Ok, we are from different areas and I do contract with Cheshire Police though so I'm bound to hear and see more. Immobilisers, especially if professionally installed are easily bypassed as they are installed to particular methods.

You can pick these keyless radio amplification units up on the dark web for less than £50 now. It's not the professional thieves you have to look out for, it's anyone who's car takes their fancy used for breaking, export, other thefts and burglaries - there's lots of reasons so I wouldn't be so naive as to believe they wouldn't use on yours. You would be amazed the knowledge these scallies have. It's a shame they don't put it to better use. They haven't a clue what's in the electronics box, they are just happy to switch on near a car and it may open and start. Simple and quick for them which is what they want. They just walk around with it switched on to see which car's de-activate.

Even if they can't immobilise the car, why have them inside pinching any of your stuff? Even torching it if they leave fingerprints? Doesn't make sense to me that. If something is preventable then why not? Confidence of "it won't happen to me" is just plain stupidity when there are very cheap or free simple solutions. We shouldn't have to I know, but unfortunately we do.

Anyhoo, with most keyless systems, certainly the newer you can temporarily disable the keyless part. It also saves car and fob battery power when you are on holiday or not using the car for some time. In the latest firmware for mine, it is now able. In my case (and this may apply to other Lexus/Toyota's) you hold the lock button down and double click the unlock button, (must be in range of the car) the fob led will flash 4 times and the keyless element is disabled in the car and keyfob. The car is no longer sending out a signal to trigger your keyfob expecting to receive an electronic handshake.

The standard alarm receiver with rolling code still works, older but less susceptible proven technology that uses an 8th of the power. You just need to press the unlock button on the keyfob to unlock the car and this also restarts the keyless option which then works as it normally would.

Of a night I always do this out of habit now. 

I do like the security methods Lexus/Toyota use due to the randomness of negotiation at the time of setting unlike some other manufacturers who use a standard set. They also aren't affected by a certain common household item you can buy for under a tenner that stops the alarm being set from the keyfob as you walk away thinking it's set.

• Like 1

My immobiliser cant be easily bypassed as like most things I do my research and dont rely on anecdotal evidence. Look that the theft stats from the early 90's and compare them to today and then show me how much of an epidemic there is . Yes manufacturers can and should do more but worrying that your a professional car thief capable if stealing cars in this manner will walk past a 50k Range Rover to steal your Yeti is delusional but that's your choice