Bearing/Bush Drivers

I'll have to change the lower arm compliance bush on the Accord soon, it's 72mm.

I'm looking at getting this driver kit - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004500NBM

I have a big vice in the shed now so if I use a couple of blocks of wood on one side and the driver on the other do you think that would be enough force to press it in? I'll put the bush in the freezer first and clean the arm up really well then heat it. Hopefully with some fairy liquid it'll go in easily.

Thats for putting seals in and tapping bearings home

You need a press or one of these kits

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-SLEEVE-BEARING-REMOVAL-SELLER/dp/B00Z7B7O0Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1458056557&sr=1-4&keywords=bush+kit

I have one I could lend you , or post me the bushes and arms and I can put them in at work

Thanks for the offer but for what it'll cost to post the bits I could probably get someone to press it in for £20 odd.

I know that says bearings but I've see it for sale elsewhere that also said it was a bush press. I suppose really I could just use a block of wood on that side too.

I've seen some bush kits for other cars on ebay but none for the Accord.

Ones like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Megane-Scenic-mk2-2-II-Rear-Axle-Bush-Pressing-Mounting-Replacement-Tool-/252311556709?hash=item3abef0d265:g:YCkAAOSw7NNUIoMa

Or I could get a cheaper kit like what you linked to - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Universal-Press-Pull-Sleeve-Kit-Bearing-Seal-Bush-Insertion-Extraction-New-/110876353011?hash=item19d0bee1f3:g:~VAAAOSwUV9WnQo0

I'm sure it'll get used again on the Accord if not on the MX5.

72mm sockets are expensive, this is a big bush and I don't think pressing it in against the rubber with a smaller one will be a good idea. I'm not going to do it until we've got a new car for the missus so I don't have to rush it but it'll need doing before the MOT in 6 months time. I'm terrible for putting things off so I need to start thinking about it now! :lol: I did read some people use holesaws but I'm not keen with the sharp edges plus they're not cheap neither. 

• 1 month later...

I checked the bush yesterday when cleaning the car and it's now popped out so the lower arm is resting on the subframe! I don't know when it happened but I've not noticed any difference in the handling etc  :blink:

I've got no choice but to get it done asap now. I'm looking at over £100 for a garage to do it so I might just buy that bush press/puller kit and do it myself. Getting the arm off is 3 bolts, the drop link and popping the ball joint so it's fairly straightforward. It's just finding the time to do it cos the missus uses the car daily and can't be without it.

It's a similar price as the bush press kit though and I'm sure it would get used again. Really I need to find someone local who can press it in once I've removed the arm.

I bought a 12 ton hydraulic press, and some various sockets (as well as the race seal kit), I also made a push/pull kit from some threaded rod + the sockets etc (but it would have been worth just buying a kit)
12 ton press = £75-80
6 ton press = £40-60 (the one you linked is on the expensive side for no reason)

You can use something like this - but check the sizes first.

I also bought some 3" pipe for exhaust (they cut it down to size) from ebay, and used that as a receiver.

• Like 1

I bought a 12 ton hydraulic press, and some various sockets (as well as the race seal kit), I also made a push/pull kit from some threaded rod + the sockets etc (but it would have been worth just buying a kit)

12 ton press = £75-80

6 ton press = £40-60 (the one you linked is on the expensive side for no reason)

You can use something like this - but check the sizes first.

I also bought some 3" pipe for exhaust (they cut it down to size) from ebay, and used that as a receiver.

Thanks some good info there :)

The cheapest 6 ton press I can find on ebay is this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-6-ton-Hydraulic-Heavy-Duty-Floor-Shop-Press-/301518588522

Or I thought this might be better as it's taller so could use it for bearings - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-6-Ton-Tonne-Heavy-Duty-Hydraulic-Workshop-Garage-Shop-Floor-Standing-Press/380375240208

If a 6 ton one can press a bearing in then it should be enough for a bush.

Where did you get your one from and how has it been, does it feel cheap?

That's a good shout with the exhaust pipe, do you have a link? 3" is about 76mm and with the bush being 72mm that would be a perfect receiver.

The only problem is finding a 72mm driver to press it in with, I'd really need to buy that push/pull kit so it might just be worth me getting that first and see how I get on. Then get a press if I need to but obviously that means having the car off the road until it arrives.

I got my one from your second link, kmsdirect.

It's adjustable for height which is more useful, so I wouldn't bother with the table top style one.

Feels sturdy enough, 6 ton would have been fine but I wasn't sure so more is best right ?
The jack bottle has been leaking but it could have been trapped air so I did the normal jack 'bleeding' thing, and have some hydraulic oil to top it up at some point.

Ebay:

So I ordered the shortest piece and asked them to cut it into 3 sections (they can't do smaller than 250mm total).

Try this for size:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-S34-50-WallDrive-Socket/dp/B000R9XTD4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462293850&sr=8-2&keywords=sealey+50mm+walldrive

(dimensions look right, I used a 42mm walldrive socket to drive a 57mm bushing)

:)

Could the bottle jack be leaking cos it's upside down, are they actually designed to be used this way as well?

Thanks for the links. That socket looks to be 66mm so a little too small and the bush doesn't have much metal around it so I'd be afraid of it touching the rubber and damaging it.

Having read the Honda forums alot of people are suggesting it's a pig of a job and I should just replace the arms with good pattern ones. By the time I've bought a press and all the other bits the cost is the same. The arms on the car are still the originals and I've had problems with pattern ones in the past so was keen to keep them and just replace the bush with a genuine one, which I've already got. Having said that the previous owner had the other side done 5 years (25k miles) a go and I don't think that was a genuine bush.

If I replace the arms then I could press the bush in at my leisure or get someone to do it for beer money.

Change the selection to 55mm, for some reason the link keeps going to 50 !

Product Dimensions 15 x 7.2 x 7.2 cm

In my case it was probably air that caused the problem, kms are really good to deal with and they said they'd replace it if leaking still.

Thanks I didn't see that, still expensive for a socket though, unless I can find someone who has that size already.

Edit - Found this, but it's 70mm, although that should be ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SX010-Impact-Socket-2-inch/dp/B000R9ZYNW

I just looked at the press photos again and the jack is the right way up, I thought it was upside down for some reason. It's good they'll replace it though if it doesn't stop.

I got a quote of £60-£90 (+VAT) to do the work for me and it should take 1-1.5 hours but if the bush is a complete pig to press in (apparently it can be) then they recommend replacing the arm anyway.

So dilemma time:

Do I get the press and other bits and do it myself.

Get the garage to do it, which will cost the same as above and save me the hassle.

Replace the whole arm (I'd do both sides) with Delphi ones for £145.

The missus said it was judging above 60mph yesterday, which it wasn't doing last week so it has only recently happened but obviously needs doing asap.

Joe's doing it on Thursday, I went down there on Friday and spoke to him about it :)

Many say replace the whole arm, which I can do no problem but I would prefer to keep the original and use a genuine bush. As much as I love working on cars myself I can't have the car off the road ATM otherwise I would've had a go at doing it myself.

I'll probably get a press at some point though so have that one in my watch list. Once we've got a 3rd car again then I can have one off the road while I work on the other! :D