Real Life Wheeler Dealers

No not an awesome restoration, but one of the comedy simple fixes that supposedly couldn't be fixed! Think I mentioned previously that my brother's Z4 had been off the road for the last couple of months with a gearbox issue. It had been with a local garage (after BMW had suggested it probably needed a new gearbox) and they thought they had found the problem, replaced some parts but car still had issues as it wouldn't select anything higher than third (it's an SMG semi-auto box). They started throwing more sensors and parts at it at greater cost and still nothing, and eventually we'd had enough when they suggested replacing the transmission control unit (which is as expensive as it sounds!)

Rang the guy who looks after my 360 and he said he'll take a look so we took it up there last week - and he managed to find the fault pretty much straight away. And guess what, it was the sensor they replaced first (which means they did diagnose it right) but they didn't fit it properly and broke it when they installed it! New sensor and all sorted :)

Amazing that when I described the symptoms he told me over the phone he's 99% sure it's just a sensor somewhere, and the diagnostic will tell them which one. And he was bang on!

Great result that :) What about the original sensor and all the other parts that the garage replaced, are they going to compensate?

Not sure at the moment, no real proof that the other items weren't needed but hoping to at least get the cost of the sensor they broke back.

Interestingly despite working on the car for ages over a period of several weeks they only charged something like £200 in labour which was surprising as the labour charge to just replace the sensor was over £300.

The reason is to correctly fit that sensor you have to drop the gearbox out (several hours work) and he said that often garages are lazy and try to change it without doing that meaning you can't fit it properly and can easily break it  :rolleyes: