Alloy Wheel Straightening

Tony

I have available access to machinery that will 'cold roll' compressed alloy wheels and re-shape the inner dish....Scarface would be a perfect example for compressed wheel damage aligner since two of his new wheels were ovaled after hitting Motorway debris........... anyway what do you feel about this new saviour of wheels?

• 2 weeks later...

i straigtened an alloy today, when the wheel came in today it had 2 visible flat spots and after straigtening it ran sweet on a ballencer.

this prosses isnt 100% guaranteed because if the wheel has been fractured in the impact that caused the flat spot it wont be able to take the bending presures and will crack,

so far we have only done 4 wheels, one cracked and needed to be replaced the other 3 came out fine, it takes a little while to do and we are asking people to leave the wheel with us so we can concentrate on it at a quiet time.

if you have an expensive alloy that is bent it is well worth a try to straigten it before splashing out on a new rim, specialy if the wheel is no longer available and replacing it means changing a set of 4 wheels.

i straigtened an alloy today, when the wheel came in today it had 2 visible flat spots and after straigtening it ran sweet on a ballencer.

this prosses isnt 100% guaranteed because if the wheel has been fractured in the impact that caused the flat spot it wont be able to take the bending presures and will crack,

so far we have only done 4 wheels, one cracked and needed to be replaced the other 3 came out fine, it takes a little while to do and we are asking people to leave the wheel with us so we can concentrate on it at a quiet time.

if you have an expensive alloy that is bent it is well worth a try to straigten it before splashing out on a new rim, specialy if the wheel is no longer available and replacing it means changing a set of 4 wheels.

Any idea of cost?.... i am looking forward to seeing the machine tomorrow.

so now you have seen the machine in action tony.. what did you think?

We have duplicate posts visible...... it happens :o ... Scarface will I'm sure merge the posts.

I would..... but I'm not sure how to :rolleyes:

I wish i knew this was availible when i had my 18s on my previous car. I 50p'd one of them and couldn't balance it out.

Ah well, it went on the rear before i sold it.

• 1 month later...

The machine in action........

now at about 400lbs pressure

The flexibility of the wheel is amazing to watch, no wonder alloys flat-spot

There is a preemptive skill needed to operate this machine but since the wheel was scrap before any attempt to straighten it then the slight possibility of it cracking seems to be worth the attempt.

Cost: £50-£80 depending on wheel size and level of damage, in the event the wheel cracks then the cost is £0 regardless of duration

wim says: I like this machine, it gives the owner a second chance to recover the wheel after hitting one of the Councils compulsory pot holes. Commercially there is a very big market for this service and i forecast it would be possible with good advertising to expand this through the postal service.

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a set of alloys and tyres off Ebay. Drove 3.5hrs to collect and have them fitted. To cut a long story short i quickly discovered that one of the alloys had a bend. Trouble is i got such a great deal on the alloys and the fitted Conti Sport Contact 2's that i was happier keeping the gear and trying instead to get it sorted. Is this wheel straightening still available? And can anyone identify my alloys?? They're TSW, but what model...

Thanks.

http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00107ate7.jpg

It is still available, the company is Discount tyres and exhausts London road Hemel Hempstead Herts

Don't you offer this now Tony or is that only refurbs?

Yes but the cold press Discounts use is cheaper than the hot type we do, so in this example i'm honest enough to recommend Discounts.

I recently bought a set of alloys and tyres off Ebay. Drove 3.5hrs to collect and have them fitted. To cut a long story short i quickly discovered that one of the alloys had a bend. Trouble is i got such a great deal on the alloys and the fitted Conti Sport Contact 2's that i was happier keeping the gear and trying instead to get it sorted. Is this wheel straightening still available? And can anyone identify my alloys?? They're TSW, but what model...

Thanks.

http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00107ate7.jpg

That wheel is not in the current TSW catalogue......Possiblly it's discontinued?

Thanks guys. Just to update you all, the alloys aren't even TSW! I drove past an alloys and tyres dealer today to see if they could ID the wheels. After trawling old and new TSW catalogues we then took the wheel off, where a local expert then confirmed that it definitely wasn't TSW. This is all despite the auction stating the items as TSW. Oh well no worries...

Tony how much is the hot version that you do? Sounds to me like it would suit the alloys better to be put back in shape this way.

Also how long do these procedures take? I live down South London, and would ideally like to drive in and drive out in one day.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks guys. Just to update you all, the alloys aren't even TSW! I drove past an alloys and tyres dealer today to see if they could ID the wheels. After trawling old and new TSW catalogues we then took the wheel off, where a local expert then confirmed that it definitely wasn't TSW. This is all despite the auction stating the items as TSW. Oh well no worries...

Tony how much is the hot version that you do? Sounds to me like it would suit the alloys better to be put back in shape this way.

Also how long do these procedures take? I live down South London, and would ideally like to drive in and drive out in one day.

Thanks for the advice!

Depends on the level of damage but it's around £50.

Damage is slight i reckon. I still drive with the wheel as is. Would i be able to come up your way and leave on the same day with everything fixed, should it all go to plan? I have leave from work for the whole of the next week, so can be very flexible...

Damage is slight i reckon. I still drive with the wheel as is. Would i be able to come up your way and leave on the same day with everything fixed, should it all go to plan? I have leave from work for the whole of the next week, so can be very flexible...

If you want the wheel fixed then it takes two days or was there other things you wanted done?

If you want the wheel fixed then it takes two days or was there other things you wanted done?

Just the wheel fixed please. I could drop my car off with you and take the train home I guess. Keen to do so early next week if possible.

You wouldn't be able to hook up a small boxed active sub to the standard head unit as well would you?

Just the wheel fixed please. I could drop my car off with you and take the train home I guess. Keen to do so early next week if possible.

You wouldn't be able to hook up a small boxed active sub to the standard head unit as well would you?

Best we talk directly... Can you pm me a contact number.