NEW MOT History Checker

This is what's showing, looks like everytime they've just said they needed to fix something they put it through as a fail first and then re-test which I was never aware of.

The first one looks really bad as that was the time my local place failed it (but said they weren't actually putting it through as a fail) and then my Lexus dealer passed it with no issues, but even worse the mileage on the retest is lower than on the first test!

post-1222-0-00134900-1445330619.jpg

post-1222-0-11091500-1445330620.jpg

post-1222-0-91844900-1445330620.jpg

Yes it's never had an actual fail, but what is the reasoning behind this? Some kind of scam to bill as though they've done more MOTs?

The headlamp too low one is ridiculous, as surely you just adjust the headlamp and pass it - you wouldn't put that through as a fail and then re-test the car?

This has been around for a while in beta (looks like it's still beta) - having said that just entered the Lexus and I seem to have a lot of failed MOTs that I didn't know about!!  :unsure:

I'm not sure if it's official as it should have a .gov.uk web address but it works for all my cars, past and present.

The fail thing is so they meet their quoter, otherwise VOSA will be down there doing checks if they pass too many cars as it can look suspicious.

This has been around for a while in beta (looks like it's still beta) - having said that just entered the Lexus and I seem to have a lot of failed MOTs that I didn't know about!!  :unsure:

I'm not sure if it's official as it should have a .gov.uk web address but it works for all my cars, past and present.

The fail thing is so they meet their quoter, otherwise VOSA will be down there doing checks if they pass too many cars as it can look suspicious.

The fail used to be 40%, not sure what it is nowadays?

If that's the case should they not be giving us the fail certificates? They obviously know what they were doing is wrong, or they'd be open with us when failing the car.

Yes I think they should if they've failed it and then passed it on a re-test, unless they're hoping the customers who leave their cars don't check.

It's just to meet their quoter but personally I find it annoying as it now shows on the history. My MOT tester doesn't fail or advise anything unless it is genuine. I bet with alot of these headlight fails they haven't even changed anything as it's actually been ok!

It's just to meet their quoter but personally I find it annoying as it now shows on the history. My MOT tester doesn't fail or advise anything unless it is genuine. I bet with alot of these headlight fails they haven't even changed anything as it's actually been ok!

There was one time that they said my HID kit wouldn't pass (funnily enough it has passed every time since!) but they said they just swapped them out with standard bulbs and it passed fine.

It seems now that in reality they first failed it, then swapped the bulbs and then passed it again!

This is why I don't go to crap fit! The last owner of my Corolla took it there so they failed it on headlight aim with a massive list of advisories obviously fishing for work. Most of these shouldn't of been on there but he said he didn't want them to do any of it so they just passed it!

mot.jpg

This is why I don't go to crap fit! The last owner of my Corolla took it there so they failed it on headlight aim with a massive list of advisories obviously fishing for work. Most of these shouldn't of been on there but he said he didn't want them to do any of it so they just passed it!

Mine was my Lexus dealer that did that!

How does the whole engine covers thing work? Are they seriously not allowed to remove them? I was told it's the same for the 360, the entire underbody is covered for aero reasons and I was told they're not allowed to remove anything so they have to inspect as best they can with the limited access. I'd love it if I got the "exhaust noisy" advisory for the Ferrari :)

Dealers usually mot the cars first and then retest if they fail , if they didnt do this it would look like they never fail anything

I usually book my car in for an MOT and service at the same time, so if they've just serviced it theoretically it shouldn't fail!  :P

Hence why they mot it first

Mine was my Lexus dealer that did that!

How does the whole engine covers thing work? Are they seriously not allowed to remove them? I was told it's the same for the 360, the entire underbody is covered for aero reasons and I was told they're not allowed to remove anything so they have to inspect as best they can with the limited access. I'd love it if I got the "exhaust noisy" advisory for the Ferrari :)

Yeah but they did that just to meet their quoter and not to add a list of advisories in the hope of getting some work from it.

You should stay near the car and when they do the emissions test hit your remote button - that'll make them jump! :lol:

They cant remove anything

Since the permitted noise level is entirely down to the discretion of the mot tester a standard car could well fail the test !

It's ridiculous, the T Sport is a sports car so it'll have a louder than standard exhaust.

I'm surprised they don't have one for the car is too low!

When he drove the MX5 off the ramp and onto the brake tester the exhaust hit the ramp as it came down - I'm glad it's not any lower!!

When I had my MX5 tested last week He noticed how low it was and didn't even bother putting it on the rollers.  He put it on a different brake tester whatever that was?

I wonder what else can be used to test them.

Once he finished the MOT and parked it up he struggled to get out of the car as it was a slope ramp, he is younger than me as well, only late 20s! :lol: