Coilover protection and adjustment

SHAHZ

What's the best thing to l use to protect the coils, with the weather changing, won't be long before the salt is spread on the roads!

Reading around, there is so many different things people use, spray on wax, lithium grease, cable ties and motorcycle innertube!

What do you guys use/recommend?!

Also, adjustment on the BCs, am I correct it's the lower ring that I need to loosen and then turn the whole unit into the lower collar?

How tight should the lower ring be once I've adjusted the height, hand tight with the spanner or should I also give it a knock or 2 with a screwdriver and mallet for a little extra tightness!

I would use spray on wax because it's easy on and easy off...... As for the adjustment loosen the lower ring and adjust the height on one of the upper rings,, top one to adjust down and the bottom upper ring to adjust up..... As for tightness,,,,,,,, Grrrr tight.

I would use alloy wheel wax, they're powdercoated I think so probably the best protection to use. Personally I don't bother though, never had problems when I've fitted lowering springs, just rinse them now and again.

• 3 months later...

On my Meisters i have used a Spray wax from Toolstation for £3 odd. Having coated my old BC's with copper slip on the threads and the subsequent grit that stops the collars i have learned my lesson.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Protection+Wax/p41925

This seems to do the trick!

:)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

why do i never get thread notifications any more!? lol

Late to respond here - but if you wanted to coat your coilovers with a wax i would personally get in there with a very soapy sponge and warm water and wash it all off (a TFR or snow foam might work wonders), wait till dry then go at it. I'd only do the threaded areas :)

• 2 years later...

Finally got round to adjusting these yesterday, looks like one of them is jammed! With the car not being on axel stands I don’t want to put too much pressure!

Cars well over due for geo so will get them adjusted when I come up to WIM!