mk3 mx5 koni, h&r combo vs bilstein, eibach

bendiazclegg

im looking to update my mx5's suspension but i feel like i dont quite need the performance nor the hole in my wallet for coilovers, but every i seem to look there are divided thoughts! so yellow koni shocks and h&r springs 40mm drop or bilsteins with eibach springs 30mm drop?? im also open to other suggestions but i dont really want to fork out more that 600/700 and know that if i went for coilovers at this price i wouldnt be getting particularly brilliant ones.

The Bilsteins with Eibach springs with a 30mm drop is the ideal way to go..... These return the car to design height with a slightly harder coil rate whereas the koni shocks and H&R springs are below OEM height ( roll centre ) and a much harder coil rate.

cool thanks! right so h&r out of the question if i were to put the eibach springs on are they better suited for the bilsteins or would the konis be an option? also wouldnt the h&r springs being progressive make them less likely to bottom out?  sorry for the questions just want to get it right as I've seen so many mixed perspectives ! 

Unless the konis have adjustable dampening i would stick with the Bilsteins.... All makes of coils for the MK3 are pigtailed ( progressive ) It's the rate that stops coils bottoming out. At -30mm your 99.99% safe in fact the only time i've known a damper to bottom out was on coilovers set to low.