Lexus IS 300 sport cross

chrisgixer

Not a huge amount wrong with this car going by the way it drives and the tyre wear. However....

....I can't help notice the rear end has what "FEELS" like some flex in the rear subframe bushings or something along those lines.

Symptoms are a diagonal motion in the rear body on the suspension stroke over high speed wumps* under lateral load/in fast corners. By diagonal I mean, in a fast left corner say, the rear end doesn't rise and fall vertically (I I) < vertical stroke), like it does in a straight bit of road, but there is a sideways motion to the vertical stroke as well (\ \) < diagonal) This tends to load up the rear end on compression and then on the rebound stroke it can fling the rear end of the car to the inside of the corner. It's like the rear end has lost grip and the pendulum effect flings the rear end into the inside of the corner as it unloads from the bump. Except the rear has not lost grip at all.

It can be quite unerving.

Anyone know of a cause? Bush failure or something? Or is that how they are? It is an Estate version so a bit more weight back there than on a saloon. Any common failures that might help if rectified?

Mot man has the same car and gave it a good look over with no faults. And going by the rather picky advisories he's quite a fussy bugger. Of course I'm being lazy and asking on here first and not having a poke about myself. ;)

Ta

* wumps = my description of a very low frequency bump or a dip in the road. A cross between a whoops as the motocross term, and a bump. Like a slow dip followed by a sharp rise in the road surface. Hence the wwwwuuuuMP The sort you might find under subsidence on a motorway where 10 metres of road have dropped by a coupe of inches.

There's a lateral upper link that controls the toe position, all the other links are longitudinal. The lateral link isn't known for bushing wear but the problem you describe sounds like toe loading the tyres sidewall and snapping ( off loading ) off bump/ white-lines. Is it running the OEM Bridgestone tyres?