Ride Height Data

Tony

As odd as it seems the manufacturing industry does not have a commercial reference table for the vehicles ride height, the information is vital for the pre-inspection before any Alignment or Geometry is performed.

I challenged the industry for the data, the best they could offer was some A4 typed pages relating to about 40% of cars, this i can make available by request.

Suspension travel (Curve) is vital in all areas relating to Handling/ Geometry/ Breaking and general performance, unmodified car owners should be aware that a difference of 10mm in height over the axle measured from mid-arch to mid-wheel may suggest a sagging or broken coil spring.

This is an example picture of the damage by excessive suspension travel.

post-2-1144926697_thumb.jpg

Obvious tears in the bushing is visible, this is totally due to the ( Curve ) exported to the wishbone by the suspension travel, an accident waiting to happen!

• 1 month later...

So Tony, you said my car (the black MX5 on monday) was probably the lowest mx5 you have seen. I'm in agreement its probably a touch too low for day-to-day use as it scrapes my drive, luckily its not a day-to-day car, any way, do you think it being so low has any detrimental effect to handling?

I didn't think it would be as low as it has turned out as I bought 40mm drop springs (Eibach) and new dampers (KYB AGX) with the platform 10mm higher than stock (Bilsteins) so should have ended up with a 30mm drop..

:P-->

QUOTE(steve b @ May 17 2006, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Tony, you said my car (the black MX5 on monday) was probably the lowest mx5 you have seen. I'm in agreement its probably a touch too low for day-to-day use as it scrapes my drive, luckily its not a day-to-day car, any way, do you think it being so low has any detrimental effect to handling?

I didn't think it would be as low as it has turned out as I bought 40mm drop springs (Eibach) and new dampers (KYB AGX) with the platform 10mm higher than stock (Bilsteins) so should have ended up with a 30mm drop..

Nope the height belays many factors and makes my life very easy :D Prodictable camber curve well within the normal dynamic range.... Areas like weight transfer and roll centre become almost void. Yaw, pitch and polar centre become equally easy... Active dynamics do become more critical but is solely dependant on the driver, so i am not directly responsable :)

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/scre...r2/DSC00325.jpg

Roll center adjusters for the rear to balance out the extreme drop on the geometry. Need to do the math around it (or have tony tell me if it's a good idea or not...)

What's the manufactured promise? where do they predict the centre %... I do like it but for the math we need the whole sum.