Engine bay - 10 minute spruce up

Steve-O

Hi All

I was going to give my engine bay a quick once over with some silicone spray to clear the crap off and make it look shiny / protect the rubber etc.

Any reason why i shouldnt use silicone spray? This is a daily hack so not going to be overly anal about this :)

Cheers

Steve

cheers chaps :)

i have a big box full of auto glym gear but don't have that particular one lol i have a full can of silicone spray sat doing nothing so will give that a wizz this time around and go easy around the electrics. Its nothing serious just want to bring the engine bay up a level to feel in line with the exterior which is very clean :)

I hate silicone based products, all the dirt sticks to it as I find it leaves a greasy residue. Have you tried 303 Aerospace Protectant? Just clean with APC and then use this - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/303-aerospace-protectant-cat19.html

Thats a valid point about the s***e sticking - i am sure the mechanics that will work on her will thank me for that :lol:

Ok maybe i'll get something specific. i wont lie though engine bay cleaning is something i dont normally get involved with so it might be a bit of a waste. I'm a firm believer that the outside of the car should look its best but its ok for the engine bay to be a bit grimy/honest - its where all the action happens! (plus it can sometimes help show up any leaks!). This is just a nice to have i suppose.

I have never really cleaned an engine bay properly, just give it a wipe over if it's really bad. The silicone products remind me of back to black for the old school bumpers. I remember years ago I treated them on my cavalier, a few days later I went out in cream coloured jeans, got something out of the boot, caught my leg on the bumper and it was black with the dirt that had stuck to it!!  :banghead:   :lol:

Oh yeah i have been a victim of bumper dressing gunk.

I'm sure those back to black sprays ruined the plastics meaning you had to use the more and more. Back in the day when the Corsa first come out they had ABS plastic arches - they all went white! My old man had one from new and the arches were fine until he started using that stuff. I think it accelerated the whitening process and you are then caught in a vicisou circle where you had to keep slapping it on. Bastards!

That's probably true, it didn't last long until it needed topping up. I had read that using a heat gun also worked to bring the colour back but never tried it. Thank heavens for colour coded bumpers even if they are made of brittle plastic, that's the only thing I miss, old bumpers were very robust!