Rich's 1999 MX5 1.8i S

Rich

If you skidded and spun in front of a lorry it'll be game over, at least in a normal hatchback you'd have a chance of surviving. I felt fine going up there in the dry, it was just the wet roads that caused it. I haven't spun it yet, was being really careful on the roundabouts and any sharp bends.

In the dry I need to find some confidence in taking bends abit quicker, I know the grip is there as the car is planted on roundabouts but I tend to brake quite early for some of the bends.

When you drive both FWD and RWD how do you learn to adapt between driving styles or does it just happen over time?

I can imagine having more power with a RWD will definitely help you spin if you're not careful.

I dont really have an issue going from FWD to RWD as either of my cars lose traction easily if you are clumsy , 4wd caught me out on the Evo as the reaction is to correct a slide which can force you into an over correct and tankslapper

MX5's are pretty vulnerable though , my mate got punted off the road in his and he was hit up the rear and into a telegraph pole , was a bit bashed up as well the roof catch cut his head open

ad5189d34087c47b8d7241f2f686b04a_zps6f49

In the dry I don't really notice the difference but in the wet you can tell although my cars are like chalk and cheese. An Accord Tourer is alot bigger and heavier than an MX5!

Even driving in a straight at 60mph I could feel the rear of the MX5 wanting to go sometimes, I've never had that feeling in a FWD. The only issues I've had with FWD is when I used to put ditch-finders on them and cornering was really dangerous in the wet, even at low speed.

• 3 weeks later...

The car passed it's MOT today, I brought it forward as it doesn't run out until January but don't want the hassle of getting it done once it's back on the road after winter.

I got a brake test sheet this time but not sure how to read it so I'll post it up if anyone can explain it.

I filled up again and did a quick mpg calculation just to see what I get around town with the odd blast down the lanes, it's 28, which isn't bad.

I've done about 800 miles in it now and only insured it for 3k!! I might be increasing that!! :D

Good new with the MOT but i wouldn't expect anything less really since she has been well looked after..... 3K py is nothing mate, out BMW did that last year and you know how little i drive.

Yep it's been well cared for so I knew it would pass fine :)

Considering this was supposed to be a weekend/summer toy I've been using it alot, the Accord hasn't moved for 2 weeks!

There is a small coolant leak I need to trace and get the sills done this month hopefully and then she'll be off the road for winter. I'm going to order a stormforce cover soon as well. I do have some maintenance plans to do over the winter but it depends on the weather, I might leave them until next year when it warms up.

It depends on the car I think, if it was the Accord I wouldn't bother. My Dad bought one for the XR3i, remember I polished it up when I borrowed it well it's pink again as it just sits on the drive and doesn't get used much. So protecting the paint from the sun is a must on that car and I think with this being a soft top I'd rather protect it from the elements and especially the rain/frost/snow.

The stormforce cover is very thick compared to some I've seen, it's custom made to fit and is snug so doesn't blow in the wind. I did think about just a roof cover but then I've read the straps can bang against the paint and cause damage.

Bit pricey but these are quite cool:

http://www.morethanpolish.com/Touchless_Car_Cover.asp

That is nice but far too much for me and I think it might be a bit big for where it's parked on the driveway.

I'm looking at this one - http://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/collections/stormforce-car-covers/products/mazda-car-covers-1?variant=609952373

I dont like covers they can cause damage to the paint

From what I've read it's usually cheap poorly fitted ones that cause this. The stormforce isn't a cheap cover and I'll be making sure the paint is super clean before putting it on. I've read mixed opinions on the subject but I guess I won't know what they're like until I've actually tried one myself.

When I was breaking the Mondeo I just covered that in a tarpaulin, which trapped the moisture underneath, which is definitely not good for that paint!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I was planning on having the car off the road now for winter but I had to get WIM to change the gaiters on the BCRs cos they had split and it was too late to cancel the tax. Thanks to Joe for doing a great job :) I also got him to change the rear preload to 10mm and although I've not driven the car much it feels better going over bumps now and doesn't seem to crash as much. It's still harsh on the really bad roads but that can't be helped.

I'm going to get the sills done next year now and then treat the underneath, hopefully another 4 months won't bump the quote up too much! Then I'll clean and Bilt Hamber everything.

I'll probably remove the battery and try to keep it on a trickle charge, although I'm not keen on leaving it indoors all that time. If I get a solar one I could put it in the shed and fix the panel to the roof. As I'll be getting a cover for the car I can't use it on there. Parth, did you get the AA one for the Lexus, with the ODBII connector? I'd want to use it in the summer on the Accord as well for when I don't use it much so hard-wiring it or routing a cable to the battery isn't really an option.

Is there anything else I need to do when keeping the car off the road over winter? I'll be leaving the handbrake off but what about the windows, should I leave them down a little so air can circulate and would the engine need to be started at all?

Is it waterproof?

I don't think so, it sticks to the inside of the windscreen with suction cups. Does the shed have a window?

No it doesn't! :( I'll have to look for a waterproof one then but as this one works for you I was hoping to get that.