Rich's 1999 MX5 1.8i S

Rich

On 06/04/2023 at 22:29, eddie said:

Would you recommend the michelins Rich? 

I haven't got them yet and the offer has finished. Just waiting for the next offer to start and I'll get some. The reviews are really good so I'm definitely taking a punt on them.

• 1 month later...

Had them fitted on Monday, first set of tyres not fitted by WIM. I missed being able to look around the car while it's on the ramp and having a chat!

The guy put the pressures on 32psi, the recommended ones are 26 and what I usually run them on so dropped them. They're obviously still scrubbing in but they feel very grippy with a firm sidewall. The steering does feel a little heavy since dropping the pressure so I may try increasing it slightly and see how it goes.

When the guy handed the keys back he said I don't know how you drive that, it did his back in trying to get in and out! 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Been running them for a couple of weeks now and really impressed with the grip, although I've not pushed too hard. 

If anyone had that storm on Tuesday morning with the flash flooding it gripped really well in the wet. I had a nightmare drive to work though and had to turn around twice as the water was so deep. Cars were parked up where they had gone through and conked out! I had no choice but to drive through a small flood on the 3rd route I took but made it!! 😬

• 1 month later...

I had the MOT on Friday, it passed. The handbrake only just did, I need to tighten it! Hopefully it's not a stretched cable. Also there is corrosion on the inner arch I need to treat to stop it rusting through.

The clearcoat has also disappeared from the bonnet and it's going white in places! I need it resprayed asap and have had a couple of quotes at £500/£300! There are used bonnets on eBay for a lot less than that so if I can find the right colour I might just do that.