Rich's 1999 MX5 1.8i S

Rich

But it'll have a cover on it so that won't work - I'll have a look for a waterproof one.

Ahh of course. Looking on Amazon seems there are quite a few waterproof ones so shouldn't be a major issue. Although does it just keep charging constantly though? So could it damage the battery if you kept it on one of those for a number of months in succession?

Other option is if you can park close enough to the house to plug in a battery tender - much better way of keeping the battery topped up and also in perfect health.

• 1 month later...

Sorry just trying to catch up with current events hence the late post!

I have a stormforce luxury fitted cover for mine - it sat for 3 months on my drive last year through winter in all weathers and high winds etc. The paint was absolutely perfect underneath when it came off. Remember had recently had a respray so i was looking very carefully. The main thing is it is a tight fit and has straps that run under the car. Its got nowhere to go. The outside is is waterpoor but breathable and inside its got a softer layer that hugs the paint. Theres little movement to be had as its not loose.

The absolute main important thing is have the car spotless and well waxed before the cover goes on. And make sure theres no crap on the underside ahead of fitting.

I am going to be putting the cover on mine inside the garage this weekend and i will probably just disconnect the battery. I have a s**t hot CTEK smart charger which reconditions batteries so i will just drop that on for 12 hours when i want her out and away i go.

Thanks Steve, they do sound like good covers. My Dad has one now and it is a tight fit, doesn't blow in the wind and stays where it is. I've seen a few people around here now with cheap covers that are half hanging off the cars with some of the recent wind we've had.

I'm still using the car ATM so haven't bought the cover yet. I might just keep it taxed for this winter and take it out on nice days. Then once I get the sills done in the spring I'll take it off the road next winter. I've decided when I do this I'll just remove the battery and trickle charge it once a month to keep it topped up.

I'm still really enjoying the car, I had to sort the drivers window cable out, it was catching so wouldn't go down but apart from that it's perfect :D

I'd agree they become quiet useless in the snow - primarily due to lack of weight over the rear wheels. A couple of years back i was defeated in the snow by an almost flat road (the tiniest of inclines) as i had to come top a stop :lol:

i think it would fare massively better with narrow winter tyres and a couple of paving slabs in the back :)

• 2 months later...

I went for a long drive in the car yesterday, for the last couple of months it's just been to work and back so 5 miles each way. When I got home I got a whiff of a burning smell, like binding brakes!! I checked all 4 wheels and they were only slightly warm and I couldn't smell it from any of them and I don't smell it using the car for work. Hopefully it's not the start of them binding, unless the longer run has burnt any crap in the exhaust.

Does anyone suffer with condensation in the boot? The underside of the boot lid gets it the most cos it has no insulation but it's dripping on to the carpet and making all these white stains. The battery and spare wheel well are both dry so there's no leak, it's just moisture from where it's really cold.

What it is with you and brakes ? !

I have no idea!

The Corolla, Accord, Civic and now (possibly) the MX5! It could be the low miles and short journeys the cars do but what about these people who have weekend cars that do minimal miles, they can't all have issues with binding brakes.

I've only had the issue with Jap cars though, all my Fords had no issues at all, just the usual disc and pad changes. An old Pug 205 had a binding caliper but once I had sorted that it never happened again. With all my Jap cars it seems to be a regular occurrence!  :blink:

I did all 4 corners shortly after getting it off you, good clean and regrease with proper brake stuff. I'll go for another drive with some hard braking and see what happens. Maybe I just don't brake hard enough, I barely use them going to work!

My experience is the opposite funnily enough I had issues with old Fords with troublesome M16 calipers but never with jap stuff

I'm right with you there, Ford calliper seals were utter pants but luckily cheap as chips to exchange for recon calliper/s 

• 2 months later...

I may have an issue with the battery, the engine seems to take longer to start now although it does turn over first time. I suspect it's my short run of 5 miles to work that might be doing it.

I have been reading up on a replacement but it looks like there aren't many options. Currently it has a genuine Mazda (Panasonic) battery, which surely can't be the original at 17 years old? I can't see anything in the history about it being replaced though.

MX5 Parts do the Mazda one and a Westco battery, which from all the negative reviews I've seen about the latter I will be avoiding it!

The battery is in the boot down by the rear wing for those that don't know so size is an issue plus it needs to be a sealed unit. The wet type can leak apparently and corrode the floor! The Mazda battery is the gel type but I have read some people use the Bosch S5 sealed battery, even though it's a wet one - https://www.tayna.co.uk/S5-001-Bosch-Car-Battery-Type-063-S5001-P9703.html

The shape is a little different but taking the tray out and using a towel to sit it on and trimming some of the plastic makes it fit. I've had this battery before, think I bought it for the Corolla and it was very good. Plus when the car isn't being used as much in the winter it should hold a charge longer than the Mazda one, plus it's cheaper.

I'll take the battery out of the car on Friday and give it a slow charge over the weekend, the charger I have does gel types so it should be ok and I'll see if it makes a difference.

Just wondering if any of the 5 owners on here know of anything else I could use as a replacement? :)