fitted 'new' spax suspension but have a nice knock/rattle/squeek

sgking

snapped my 2nd spring in about 6 weeks, so decided to fit my spax kit on all 4 corners.

all good apart from passenger rear shock makes a hell of a noise. its all done up tightly, the noise come from the top mount area as i go over uneven road, proper horrible noises!

i didnt check the top mount prior to fitting, i assumed it was good, it looked nice and fresh anyway, despite being second hand.

any ideas what could be going wrong?

thanks

if i sit in the boot loading area and jump up and down a bit, with my fingers in the hole of the strut tower, (inside the boot) i can feel a bit of play on the adjuster knob at the top, only a few mm but enough to cause all sorts of noises...

Can you get a socket on the nut to see if it can be tightened? I can't remember if you can access it from inside the boot otherwise I think you'll have to remove it.

hi thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

no sadly not, on the saloon there is not even enough room to get the spax tightening knob in!, and sadly no room for a socket either- crap really. I suppose I could get the grinder out but would rather not bodge the rear shelf!

Hi no, no gasket between top mount and car body on mondeo mk2's.

I was comparing both sides last night and the threaded parts are both the same length, poking into the car.

I have driven car to work today, its not horrendous on the trunk rd, but the b-roads are quite, quite bad, its more a severe rattle/knocking.

what can cause this play then, I think im going to have it off on the weekend, be good to know what to look for.

Thanks again.

If they were different lengths it would suggest a missing washer or alike so it's not that.....Not questioning your intelligence but the coil is the right way up i assume?..... Another consideration is some coils have a plastic sleeve on the final helix to stop them knocking so it might be worth a look just in case one got lost.

thanks for your replies.

coil is correct way up, and yes they do have the rubber sleeves, I will check that that side is not missing. I must admit I didnt look to see if it was there, like.

ye first thing I did was curse myself for 'forgetting to tighten the two top mounting bolts'.... but nope they are nice and tight as I checked and nipped them up a bit more.

so.... the strut top mount frame is bolted to the car, the strut is bolted to the hub, this means the play can ONLY be coming from the actual top mount rubber doesn't it? they looked really nice though...

im going to be taking it off again tomorrow and taking apart and rebuilding it myself to make sure, this should let me know what is up...

PITA.

Thansk

ok, fixed it (i think)

previous owner had not fitted the dohnut rubber gasket (between the top mount and retaining nut) flat and that is what was causing the top mouint to not sit flat in the strut tower.

upgraded my drop links to m12 bolt whilst i was there.

after refitting, and later that night i could hear a faint rattle from the other side! so off it came yesterday, same thing, top nut loose and rubber dohnut at a slant.

tightened it up and refitted and now is a lovley quite, stiff, ride.

10am tomorrow i am booked in for my geo. happy days. thanks for help.