Summer's here.

Sagitar

The boss bought me a new bird table for my birthday last month. It took a long time for the birds to approach it, but eventually, the first customer was one of this year's fledgling blackbirds, a female.

20150504FemaleBlackbird5.jpg

We have new neighbours and they have cleared the shrubs/trees that made a visual boundary along the fence. Now we have a view right down the Close but I think it may be too open. What do you think?

20150604Sunshine.jpg

Nice photo of the blackbird :) I would prefer a wooden bird table as it makes for a better photo than the pole one we have but the squirrels would just take it over!

I prefer it with the shrubs there, I like my privacy though and hate our front garden/driveway as there is nothing either side of it apart from a 2ft high wall!

I found a before for you :)

20140524FrontGarden8.jpg

How did you find that :huh: .......

The table looks great as does that image of the bird calling his mates. As for the open plan garden i think it's an improvement because it opens things up and looks cleaner/ brighter.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the garden re-design about three years ago and the new plantings are coming to maturity. One of the plants that we retained in the front garden was a Philadelphus and we decided to support it with a range of other white flowers. Several of them are in flower and there are some photographs below. It's amazing what a range of variations there is in flowers of a single colour.

20150616WhiteFlowers1.jpg
Aquilegia

20150616WhiteFlowers2.jpg
Campanula

20150616WhiteFlowers3.jpg
Daisies

20150616WhiteFlowers4.jpg
Violas

20150616WhiteFlowers5.jpg
Cistus

20150616WhiteFlowers6.jpg
Potentilla

20150616WhiteFlowers7.jpg
Philadelphus

That is such a beautiful garden, in fact I might pick your brain at some point about planting advice if you don't mind - I'm completely clueless about this stuff. Wanted to get a landscaper in but they want something like £1000 design fee before even starting to talk about doing any work!

Very difficult to say Rich, Most days I do no gardening, On a couple of evenings each week I wander around all the borders and the gravel areas and pull any visible weeds - not more than half an hour because it's done regularly. But then from time to time I do a significant job that may take an hour or more. For example, the Philadelphus that is flowering now will need all the flowered branches reduced in length by about a third once it has finished. I'll shred and compost the cuttings then hoe and rake the border where I've trampled on it. It might take me a couple of hours, but a young, fit bloke would do it much more quickly. I have a written schedule for doing all the standard jobs such as dead-heading and pruning and my routine is "little and often" because I tire very quickly,

My health started to go downhill four years ago and I now look after only the small front garden. We redesigned it using mostly shrubs with a mounded shape and limited vigour, so they need little attention, Since then I have thrown out several plants that didn't meet the regime and replaced them with easier items,

It takes a lot less time and effort than the old garden which had a lawn, perenniels and sizeable shrubs including roses.

Very difficult to say Rich, Most days I do no gardening, On a couple of evenings each week I wander around all the borders and the gravel areas and pull any visible weeds - not more than half an hour because it's done regularly. But then from time to time I do a significant job that may take an hour or more. For example, the Philadelphus that is flowering now will need all the flowered branches reduced in length by about a third once it has finished. I'll shred and compost the cuttings then hoe and rake the border where I've trampled on it. It might take me a couple of hours, but a young, fit bloke would do it much more quickly. I have a written schedule for doing all the standard jobs such as dead-heading and pruning and my routine is "little and often" because I tire very quickly,

My health started to go downhill four years ago and I now look after only the small front garden. We redesigned it using mostly shrubs with a mounded shape and limited vigour, so they need little attention, Since then I have thrown out several plants that didn't meet the regime and replaced them with easier items,

It takes a lot less time and effort than the old garden which had a lawn, perenniels and sizeable shrubs including roses.

I would've thought you'd spend alot more time than that but I suppose alot of it is in the preparation as well, abit like detailing a car. Once you've done the hard work it doesn't take much time or effort to keep it maintained :)