Insurance time again!

Hastings, More Than and Tesco are all coming up cheaper than Admiral now. The missus has been with Admiral for 5 years out of the 7 she has been driving cos they've always been the cheapest.

How about this for confusing, I'm tweaking the Tesco quote and usually set the mileage to 6k but if I half it to 3k the price goes up £2! Also commuting is actually cheaper than SD&P!

If I double the mileage to 12k the price only goes up £20 and I think it would be cheaper to set it to this now if I needed to than increase it later on. Tesco charges £20 for additional changes.

Edit - Out of interest I've been playing with my job title as well and I actually have one of the lowest. I thought I'd change it to shelf filler see what happened and the quoted increased by £33! :o Penalising people cos they stack shelves is well out of order  :censored:

Dropping the mileage only works to a certain point, beyond that they think you don't spend enough time on the road so are more of a liability.

Not really penalising people for being shelf stackers though, I'm sure they have statistics that prove they have more accidents than someone in your profession! Could be that shelf stackers are generally a younger group...........

Dropping the mileage only works to a certain point, beyond that they think you don't spend enough time on the road so are more of a liability.

Not really penalising people for being shelf stackers though, I'm sure they have statistics that prove they have more accidents than someone in your profession! Could be that shelf stackers are generally a younger group...........

Yes I gathered that with the dropping the mileage but I was surprised that doubling it was only £20 more.

That's a good point but whenever I go into Tescos or any other shop alot of staff are older than me. Insurance companies never ask for proof of your job title though so really you could put anything!

I've managed to get the Tesco quotes down to about £530 for both cars now so cheaper than Admiral after all :)

the statistics for different jobs are very unpredictable - builder costs more to insure than a bricklayer who costs more than a carpenter. supermarket jobs can vary as well so if your job has more than one name you can save by experimenting. 

if you are a mobile dj or nighclub worker then you will be paying more than any other type of worker.

if you are a mobile dj or nighclub worker then you will be paying more than any other type of worker.

Poor Wozza!  :thumbsdown_anim: 

Nice work, can't remember if I checked Tesco when I did mine, will have to bear that in mind next year!

You could put anything I guess, but they'll just screw you if you tried to make a claim (and found out) so prob not worth the risk.

Yeah I wouldn't do that anyway it's not worth the risk like you say but how can they base your driving on the job you do! What if an ex police traffic officer who is probably the safest of drivers changed jobs and became a shelf stacker, they have to pay more for insurance.

Mmm I always thought the increase in mileage means that you are on the road more and in turn more probable to have an accident!

Once I went under 6k miles the quote didn't really change until I got to 3k miles and it went up! Yet quadruple that mileage and it's only £20 more. Gotta love insurance!  :blink:

I've just been reading this and it got me thinking - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3133876/Drivers-baffled-no-claims-discounts-Millions-paying-protection-mistaken-belief-stop-premiums-rising.html

Now I know that this just protects your NCB and if you do have an accident your premiums will rise but is it actually worth getting? If you have an accident that's not your fault you don't lose your NCB anyway and the premiums shouldn't really increase. If the accident is your fault then your premiums increase whether you keep the NCB or not - is it only 1 year you would lose?

So is this worth getting or just another con? If I remove it from the Tesco quotes it's only saving me £11 per policy.

It was early yesterday morning, I was over-thinking it! :lol: Yes it's worth protecting them, if you make a claim your premium goes up anyway, but if you lose a couple of years NCB then it would go up even more than what it would if they were protected and you kept them. Although I think they only protect you from 2 claims?

Anyway, I have a week to sort our insurance out, I might do another quote with Tesco first before using the one I saved just in case it's gone down any more!  :whistle:

Just did a new quote with Tesco, it was a few quid more. I went back into the first quote and changed the excess and it's calculated the quote so it's the same as the new one I just got, both have different reference numbers. So I guess the quote is only valid providing you make no changes at all! :rolleyes:

What do you guys do about your excess, do you prefer paying a little more and having a low one or would you rather that money was in your pocket? Obviously if an accident happens that's your fault or the car is stolen/catches fire you won't get it back.

There is a compulsory excess of £100 but the difference between £0 - £150 voluntary excess on top is £15. Change it to £300 excess you save another £5 so it's not worth going over £150.

I tried buying these over the weekend and for some reason Top Cashback has stopped doing Tesco car insurance so I went via Quidco instead. It meant having to do the quotes again but they actually came out cheaper so saved me another £25, can't complain about that :)

Both cars came to £515 for fully comp, protected NCB, 8k miles on the Accord, 6k miles on the Civic and a £250 excess on each. I was actually going to change the voluntary excess to £0, so the total would've been £100 but I forgot.

Glad that's sorted for another year!

• 9 months later...

Is anyone else finding premiums have jumped massively this year? Just had the renewal in for the Merc, Ferrari and Lexus (on a multicar policy) and it's gone up over 50%.

After a bit of haggling I've got the prices down a bit, but they're all still more than last year. And looking on comparison sites I can't find anything better either :(

I've just had my renewal notice. £276.59 last year. Renewal price £347.06. An increase of just over 25%. No claims. Cover not as good because they will not now provide Excess protection.

The search for an alternative has started.

We pay £267 on our Prius with commuting and one accident a couple of years back

Have you thought about a limited mileage policy since you dont do a lot of miles?

Thanks. I'm just casting around at the moment, not very efficiently, because I have lots of other things on the go. Can I ask when you last renewed?

Last month , with Aviva 

There must have been a step change since last month or some very significant difference between  your circumstances and mine. I asked Aviva for a quote and they want an annual premium of £517.00.

I have one more comparison site to try and a few firms that don't come up on the comparison sites, but at the moment the renewal premium of £347.00 from Esure looks like the best bet, even though it is much bigger than  last year.