Got me a new camera......

Tony

Thanks Parthiban. I know that effect and have achieved it in the past using a tilt/shift lens. But I wouldn't have called it a diorama. I guess someone is just using the convenience of an existing label on the basis that the picture could be a photograph of a diorama.

But a diorama itself is three dimensional - it's a model. Here is a dictionary definition:-

diorama

noun: diorama; plural noun: dioramas
  1. a model representing a scene with three-dimensional figures, either in miniature or as a large-scale museum exhibit.
    • historical
      a scenic painting, viewed through a peephole, in which changes in colour and direction of illumination simulate changes in the weather, time of day, etc.
    • a miniature film set used for special effects or animation.

When using the tilt/shift lens and focussing selectively the eye/brain can be fooled into thinking that the photograph is of miniature objects. The effect built into the camera simply defocuses the foreground and background to achieve a similar effect. It really only works very well in my experience when you take the picture from a high viewpoint and have adequate separation of the foreground, middle distance and background planes. It's an interesting effect, but I can't say that I have ever found much use for it. The tilt and shift lens is much more useful in architectural photography (straightening up buildings) and landscape photography (maximising depth of field).

I'm grateful for your pointer and I think I see what they are playing at now . . . . :)

The photo of the houses looks like it's been taken in macro mode, only the centre is in focus cos it's used a large aperture, whereas it should be a small one for landscape photography.

I still haven't really tried it out because i want to fully understand it first. Anyway last night i noticed a partial Moon so i thought i would give the zoom and target sight a test. Remember it's a partial Moon and i didn't have a tripod.

attachicon.gifP5250003.JPG

I'm pleased with the result and would expect much better with a full Moon and a tripod.

It's got a decent zoom on it that camera!

This is a really good tripod if you want one that will last you forever

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231221363891

• 2 weeks later...

They look good on the phone, can see the detail well. As I've said before if you want to view them at a larger size than this you need to increase the resolution on the camera.

• 1 month later...

My ex dog Annie came to visit me yesterday so i set the camera on auto due to the fact she's a springer so setting a picture is almost imposable but i did manage to get this shot which i'n quite chuffed with.

post-2-0-43431800-1438156888.jpg

• Like 1