Got me a new camera......

Tony

An Olympus SP-100EE

post-2-0-22599600-1432453591.jpg

Details> http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_sp_100ee_review/

A guy on our cruise had one and showed me some of the images one of which was the Moon and i was more than impressed. In addition it has a laser dot sight that helps you lock on to long distance targets

post-2-0-42515400-1432454742.jpg

Uk sale price is around £220, i bought mine in Gibraltar for e210 :) ..... I also bought a 16mb wireless memory card meaning there's no wires involved between the PC or printer when transporting images.

In truth i haven't used it yet because i didn't want to lose any accessories on ship and now home i'm charging the battery so some examples are to follow :camera:

I still haven't really tried it out because i want to fully understand it first. Anyway last night i noticed a partial Moon so i thought i would give the zoom and target sight a test. Remember it's a partial Moon and i didn't have a tripod.

post-2-0-86746600-1432628851.jpg

I'm pleased with the result and would expect much better with a full Moon and a tripod.

You've cut the top off! Doesn't look like a bad image for a bridge camera although it looks abit over exposed on the right hand side. Did you just have it set to auto?

Had a bit of a play with it yesterday in particular with the macro... Problem is there's even more options in macro and i don't know what they mean? Anyway fist shot was just a normal close up

post-2-0-24342400-1432973360.jpg

And then a macro of a less than willing cat

post-2-0-65184300-1432973393.jpg

I think practice on a non moving target might give me better results.

The cat is out of focus so definitely practise with static objects, I found you have to get really close to the subject and make sure you have focused on it. I took this in macro mode on my old bridge camera - yes it was from your Lotus.

post-438-1274387277.jpg

I am struggling to learn the functions and the 98 page PDF manual is a hard read.... In Macro mode i need to learn to also set the resolution and the shutter speed?..... Last night i had another go at the Moon, defo need a tripod and i forgot to set it on hi res night mode!

post-2-0-05944000-1433146657.jpg

post-2-0-98975100-1433146666.jpg

post-2-0-75500200-1433146735.jpg

My hands are very shakey and although the camera isn't heavy in reality it is for me..... Last night we had an almost full Moon so in truth i had zoomed to far plus the Moon was very high so with that really cheap tripod and a low Moon it should take stunning pictures.

You definitely need a tripod then Tony if your hands are that shaky.

It's capable of taking goof photos - http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/2946529/iso125-p6050539?inalbum=olympus-stylus-sp-100ee-samples

That would be better for a start to get Tony going Rich. Would he need a shutter release cable as well?

For long exposures you would but you always use a fast shutter speed for the moon otherwise it will just be a white ball. You can always set the timer if a shutter release isn't available.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the significance of "Diorama" in connection with the camera.

A diorama was always a model or a painted scene viewed through a "pinhole" which could be animated by altering the viewpoint or the lighting. It was invented by Daguerre so it's a pretty ancient technique.

Quite a lot of cameras will now produce a panorama (i.e. a scene wider than the angle of view of the lens) by just rotating the camera but "Diorama" is a new one on me.

I make panoramas for record purposes occasionally but I do it manually by blending several images in Photoshop. I did one of the back garden recently and I'll dig it out when I have some time to spare.