mk2 mondeo st200 spax shocks/springs kit and eibach camber adjusters

ok i have i have a full set of spax vsx shocks spring combos to go on. i cant fit them right now as i currently live on a farm and the drive is terrible, but i live in hope for oneday being able to fit them!

anyway apart from that, they have the eibach camber adjusters fitted. Now i have been on meg/talkford for 10 years+ and have read about these snapping the piston bolt etc, so i dont really want to fit them. so i have 2 q's.

1.To remove them do i just buy new strut top mounts? any brand favourable?

2. Without the camber adjusters will these spax shocks/springs give me dodgy tyre wear (i will defo be getting geo done immediatley after fitting).

Thanks

Hi mate

I think you are making the right decision, those camber kits are terrible. My Mondeo handled so much better once I got them off.

I would just replace them with Ford ones, they can't be that expensive? I'd rather fit something that will last when it's difficult to remove again as you can never tell with pattern parts when/if they'll fail. If you do want to go with pattern parts then I'd choose Meyle or Lemforder, both are good brands - http://www.allgermanparts.co.uk/product/category?path=1219_1228

As for tyre wear it depends on how low you are going and on the car itself, each chassis is different. If you remember Jammy he lowered a MK1 by 60mm and had no camber wear at all, whereas I lowered mine by 30mm and had a little wear on the inside but nothing major.

I think you will be fine but if you do get bad camber wear there is also the option of moving the tyres before it gets too bad, i.e. swap them over on the rims so the worn area is on the outside. I don't think you'll need to do this though.

Meyle or Lemforder eh, Ive just searched them, sounds like these are the brands I have been looking for tbh. Its always delphi and first line that i have chosen as i thought they were the best, but seems the audi and bmw world uses these. thanks for that. I will probably buy them tbh, as its a lot of work if a cheapo bearing fails for example.

The spax vsx struts/springs kit i have is hardly used and the seller didnt tell me how low they go. the codes on the springs are :

SPAX SO11045 which appears to be -35mm according to these:

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/303474/ford/spax-lowering-springs/s011045.html

so after you lowered yours, did you do the geo and still end up with wear?

I have only done the geo once in nov 2013 (Hunter) and its the first time i have had good tyre wear, id hate to sacrifice it!!

I used almost nothing but Delphi on the Mondeo when I had it but TBH the quality wasn't always that good. A pair of wishbones that I bought didn't last as long as the really cheap ebay ones they replaced and they were alot more expensive.

I've been using the Meyle (front) drop links on both our cars now and they are brilliant, so much thicker than the ones they replaced and still solid whenever I check them. I'll definitely be using them for other suspension parts.

I think on 35mm you will be fine, might get a little inside wear but the tyre would probably need replacing before it became an issue. That is what happened to me, I didn't really need the camber kit with the little wear I was getting but wanted to try it, which in hindsight was a mistake. With the kit on I had about 6 geo's, maybe more cos the angles kept changing where the top mount was moving. After removing them it turned out one had actually broken as well. Once I got the standard top mounts back on I had another geo and that was it until the car went, the handling was 10 times better and I could live with a little inside wear.

I think the deciding factor is how low will the car be lowered? As Rich said -30 -35mm should be fine with the OEM mounts after that the options are limited and as experienced poorly proven..... Personally i think tyre wear is your guide at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok scrap what i said above re my current good tyre wear, I think i have to revise.

As said, full geo done nov 2013. changed hub on driver side shortly after due to wheel bearing, and changed spring on passenger side couple weeks ago.

I have vredstein sessanta's all round and rears are fine, however i have just checked the fronts which were new in late January, and they have worn terribly after covering only 5000 miles!

are these tyres made out of plasticine or what?! I do use 3rd gear in the corners but im no maniac... Ill have to get some pics up...

i guess i need the geo done again!?

Thanks

ok i have been out to take pics but there doesnt seem to be an option to upload?

anyway drivers is within a couple mm of dead!

passebgers is basically dead on outside, with couple mm to go on inside.

despite the uneven wear, its how quick the tyres have worn out that shocks me?? the rears have been on a while and are ok...

You'll have to upload the photos to Flickr or Photobucket and link them here.

I have these tyres on the front of mine in 17s, they wear very quickly but are even. It does sound like the geo needs checking.

They are good but the wear is bad I agree. I've done around 4k miles I think and they are over half way worn! Toyo aren't much better, I only got 7k miles out of those on my Mondeo.

Ok heres a chronology, to make things clearer:

1. summer 2013 - many suspension components renewed and all new nuts and bolts, adjusters etc front and back

2. Nov 2013 full geo

3. Dec 2013 wheel bearing went on passenger side, so replacement (old) hub fitted - no adverse tyre wear thank god, so all good.

4. Jan 2015 2 x Sessantas fitted up front

5. April 2015 Snapped spring passenger side so replacement (old) spring fitted (exactly same part as old)

6. June 2015 - checked my front tyres and here they are after 5 months and 5000 miles:

Drivers front no real unevern wear issues..just worn down to within 2mm of bald, slight wear on outside, as you can see

IMG_7278%20divers_zpsjeyzmiqx.jpg

IMG_7279%20drivers2_zpsacrxdemr.jpg

Passenger front -  basically gone really, especially on the outside

IMG_7280%20passenger_zps6mhty1yc.jpg

IMG_7281%20passenger2_zpsya4zpxwe.jpg

Im mostly concerned with the wear rate, but you think I need geo done again? will i be able to do just the front geo or will it all ahve to be redone again?

Thanks

The wear is lateral so toe looks to be an issue which is an easy fix. In truth the tyres have worn quite even.... The Sessantas are known in the industry as a sacrificial tyre? Their job is performance and grip not mileage or put it this way F1 super soft transmits all the F1 power and grip but only lasts about 15 laps, go to the hard compound yes they last longer but you don't have the grip. 

Yep if cost wasn't an issue I'd get them again but for my Accord they are probably overkill. I doubt I will see 8k miles from mine. I think I paid £190 for them last year :(

As for the geo yes you will need a full one, you have to measure the rear first and adjust before the front is touched.

thanks for your time guys. makes me feel better knowing that theres not much wrong with my car, its just shocking to have gone through a set of fronts so quickly! im so impressed by these sessantas but i cannot justify 2 or more sets a year...is there a more hard wearing tyre out there that performs well and has a goodlooking tread?

You need a more budget tyre that has a harder compound but grip (especially in the wet) won't be as good. When I replace these I'll probably get the Falken 914. I've recently had a pair put on the Civic but as they're on the rear I can't form that much of an opinion ATM. I'm tempted to try the Eagle F1s as well but I'd imagine the wear isn't so good on those.

Uniroyal Rainexpert are also another good tyre I've used (on the Civic) and I think they get around 10k miles from the front, they are awesome in the wet!