MX5 NC Steering help.

Well,that's why I replace parts of the front suspension. Maybe here is the isssue. So far I've replaced anti rollbar links and bushes, steering rod ends, shockers and springs and right side lower wishbone.

Now I'm going to replace second one. In that, what I replaced already, the balljoint was quite loose comparing to the stiffenes of the new one. Maybe it has an impact on driving. That one side is strong and new but second old and loose...

I've checked upper wishbones and they look good and don't think need to be replaced. Also tyres are 2years old Michelin's with a lot of thread.

I will try to change that wishbone and then will see. This is what I can do now.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm after alignment. This is not like you said exactly. Instead 5.30 caster they managed to do 5.50.

Well, I've done 10 miles and it seems to be OK. The car is stable at higher speed but I think the steering wheel is a little bit lighter at lower speed.So fine to me.

One thing which is strange for me,after last alignment in WIM in December all rear has changed. Well front as well but today they fitted new lower arm so they change it.

But the rear hasn't been touched since December.

Last WIM rear settings were:

Rear:

Camber

Left  - 1.44        Right   - 1.47

Toe

Left   0.13        Right    0.06

but today before measurement showed:

Camber

Left  - 2.02       Right   - 1.57

Toe

Left   0.12        Right    0.03

20170301_114752_zpstxrvejo7.jpg

Many reasons why there can be a camber change but even so it's still near mid target..

So I guess as the MX 5 is so sensitive about differences in chasis angles it would be good idea to check them at least one a year to be sure of proper handling.

Every car should be tested once a year. Put it this way the best time to check the chassis is when you don't see any tyre wear. The MX5 chassis is very readable and most drivers would notice any change and it's for this reason we need to be so surgical about the settings.

Tony, you wrote a couple posts before :"...Basically the lower the castor the lighter the steering so 6 degrees is fine providing the cambers hit their target".

Yesterday they did 5.50, so almost 6.

What can be the reason that they couldn't achive 5.30 with keeping cambers' target ?

Right, during last 2 days I've done about 60 miles both town and motorway and.... the only word I can say is WOW !!!

I just really can't understand how big change has been done.

I mean, now the handling is so sweet, so precise. When going straight the car is stable even when driving across potholes or ruts. Before I was jelaous when seeing relaxed people in their hatchbacks cruising on motorway. Now I can do that as well. The ride is so easy and calm.

When turning though on fast roundabouts the steering wheel is not fighting with me any more. The car is going exactly when I told it to go. It is so precise now.

I'm literally in shock now. This is the Mazda I read about. To me is the pinnacle of driving for that sort of cars.

Now I feel what I felt when bought it: this is my car I was waiting for ( owning 19 cars before).

I'm happy like a young lad who has got a new toy.

I don't know if a new wishbone has had an influence on that as well but now I know my whole front suspension is new and alignment is very very proper for me.

My head is now finally free and I can start thinking of new mods :)

So thanks once again for you patience and your advices.

Well I have some intorior plans. However I was offered anti roll bars from RX8 for a good price but I'm wondering if I need them as I do 95% my mileage is on straight motorway.

Maybe rather that bracing... ? Hm... but which one is the most effective... the are plenty of them.

Bracing is noticeable without affecting the geometry in fact it offers geometric stability... The downside is if you change the ARB's you also need to change the drop links. 

Oh no no no no... so that is clear. I'm not going to change that ARB's. At least not now.

So I will read about the rest of braces. But if I'm honest they are some braces under my MX5 and I thought that the lighter, painted in red or white aftermarket braces are just like... visual tuning. OK, they are lighter but will they help to make a chasis stiffer then the OEM ones ?

Some car makes want the suspension to be at mid point and any adjustments/ target datum assume the car is loaded correctly. Mazda don't ask for a fuel load or ballast in their target datum but saying that we silently take into account the drivers weight :whistle: